The mission of the Professional Responsibility Office (PRAO) is to ensure that Department of Justice (Department) attorneys perform their duties in accordance with the high professional standards expected of the Nation's principal law enforcement agency. PRAO, which reports directly to the Deputy Attorney General, provides professional responsibility advice to Senior Management Officials, Department attorneys and Assistant United States Attorneys worldwide about how to carry out their duties in compliance with the applicable rules of professional conduct. PRAO conducts professional responsibility training for Department attorneys throughout the country, at the Department's National Advocacy Center and hosts a monthly program on the Justice Television Network. In addition, PRAO identifies trends and changes in professional responsibility jurisprudence and provides recommendations to the Deputy Attorney General's Office on changes in policies or procedures consistent with those new developments. PRAO provides litigation assistance to Department components and offices in defending attorneys who may have been accused of engaging in professional misconduct. PRAO also serves as the Department's liaison with state and national bar organizations.
PRAO is a small, collegial, dedicated and service-driven organization which supports the entire Department. Our office places a high value on diversity of experiences and perspectives and encourages applications from all qualified men and women from all ethnic and racial backgrounds, veterans, LGBT individuals, and persons with disabilities."
The incumbent will:
- advise Senior Management Officials, Department attorneys and Assistant United States Attorneys about professional responsibility issues arising in their cases, investigations and other work for the Department, including advising on high-profile, sensitive and national security matters.
- research and draft opinions regarding the application of the rules of professional conduct to the work of Department attorneys.
- provide litigation assistance to Department components and offices in defending Department attorneys who have been accused of engaging in misconduct.
- develop and present professional responsibility training nation-wide including on the Justice Television Network, leveraging latest technologies.
- participate in PRAO's outreach to bar organizations, bar counsel and the professional responsibility community.
Applicants must possess a J.D. degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association, have at least 5 years of relevant post-J.D. experience, and be an active member of the bar in good standing of a state, U.S. territory, the District of Columbia, or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico. Applicants are responsible for citing J.D. and bar membership information (institution name, state(s) of admission and date (s)) on their respective resumes.
We welcome candidates with state or federal prosecutorial or other litigation experience. The ideal candidate will possess exceptional writing and oral communication skills and working knowledge of the rules of professional conduct.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter (highlighting relevant experience), a resume and writing sample demonstrating your ability to analyze and expound on complicated, nuanced legal issues to email@example.com or
Ms. Maria Henry
U.S. Department of Justice
Professional Responsibility Advisory Office 1425 New York Ave., NW, Suite 12000 Washington, D.C. 20530
This position is open until filled.