Skip to main content
Press Release

District Man Sentenced To More Than 11 Years In Prison For Armed Robbery And Assault– Defendant Attempted To Stab Two People Who Tried To Stop Him-

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia

     WASHINGTON - Marlon DeShan Perkins, 36, of Washington, D.C., was sentenced today to 11 years and two months in prison for robbing a woman while armed with a knife and for attacking two people who tried to help her, announced U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. 

     Perkins pled guilty in November 2012 in the Superior Court of the District of Columbia to charges of robbery while armed with a knife and assault with a dangerous weapon. He was sentenced by the Honorable Patricia A. Broderick. Upon completion of his sentence, Perkins will be placed on five years of supervised release.

     According to the government’s evidence, on Oct. 5, 2012, at approximately 7:45 p.m., the victim and her six-year-old child were walking in an alley off the 100 block of Morse Street NE when Perkins approached them and brandished a knife.  Perkins lunged at the victim with the knife, demanding her purse and threatening to kill her. In fear for her life, the victim dropped her purse.  Perkins picked up the purse and fled down the alley. Two people attempted to intervene, and Perkins attempted to stab both of them before getting away.

     The Metropolitan Police Department canvassed the area and found Perkins with the victim’s purse in his hands.

     In a second unrelated case, Judge Broderick sentenced Perkins today to an additional 180 days in jail for a weapons offense. In that matter, in June 2012, Perkins entered a woman’s home in Southeast Washington and assaulted her.  He tried to take a cell phone from her, and during the struggle, Perkins hit her in the hand with a knife, causing a small laceration.

     In announcing today’s sentence, U.S. Attorney Machen praised the work of the Metropolitan Police Department, which investigated the case.  He also commended the efforts of Assistant U.S. Attorney John C. Truong, who conducted the sentencing hearing in the case. 


Updated February 19, 2015