Skip to main content
Press Release

Georgia Man Sentenced to Prison for Assaulting Law Enforcement with a Weapon During Jan. 6 Capitol Breach

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Defendant Struck Police with Metal Crutch

           WASHINGTON – A Georgia man was sentenced to prison today for assaulting law enforcement officers with a weapon during the Jan. 6, 2021, breach of the U.S. Capitol. His actions and the actions of others disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the 2020 presidential election.

           Jack Wade Whitton, 33, of Locust Grove, Georgia, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Rudolph Contreras to 57 months in prison, 36 months of supervised release, and ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution. Whitton pleaded guilty to one count of assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers with a deadly or dangerous weapon on Sept. 13, 2022.

           According to court documents, on Jan. 6, 2021, many of the most violent confrontations that day occurred near an entrance to the Capitol building in the area known as the Lower West Terrace.  The entrance usually consists of a flight of stairs leading to a doorway; however, on January 6th, the construction of the Inaugural Stage converted the stairway into a 10-foot-wide, slightly sloped, short Tunnel approximately 15 feet long. Here, law enforcement officers struggled for hours with a mob of violent rioters to prevent the mod from advancing further into the Capitol building.

           At approximately 4:27 p.m., police officers had been defending the Tunnel for nearly two hours, advancing and retreating as they struggled against a crowd of rioters. As some rioters exited the Tunnel and made their way down a set of steps, Whitton worked his way through (and against) the crowd to get closer to the police line.

           As Whitton approached the police line, he pulled a metal crutch from the crowd, raised it overhead, and thrust it repeatedly at police, striking law enforcement officers. While Whiton was attacking the line of officers with the crutch, another rioter – co-defendant Justin Jersey – knocked an officer to the ground. Still wielding the crutch, Whitton climbed over a fence at the top of the stairs. As Whitton approached the police line, an officer was able to gain control of the crutch; however, Whitton was undeterred. He continued to fight the officers, grabbing at them with his hands and kicking at an officer lying on the ground.

           Whitton then grabbed an officer’s baton and, in his own words, “fed him to the people” by dragging the officer head-first and face-down into the violent, angry mob of rioters, where the officer was beaten. The mob then proceeded to attack the downed officer with objects, including a police baton and flagpole.

           Approximately 20 minutes later, at 4:48 p.m., Whitton returned to the Archway. Police officers continued to maintain a line across the Tunnel entrance; many held riot shields. Whitton approached the line of officers, gave them the finger, and kicked at them. Another rioter, who was standing between Whitton and the police line, yelled at him and others to stop. Instead, Whitton ran back to the line of officers, kicked at them, struck a riot shield held by an officer, and shouted, “You’re gonna die tonight!”

           During another instance that day, Whitton scaled the wall between the Lower West Terrace and the Upper West Terrace of the Capitol building, where bleachers had been set up for the Inauguration and where police officers were attempting to clear rioters. Here, Whitton threw an object at the line of officers, then reached over the balustrade to throw a punch at them.

           In the days that followed the events of January 6, Whitton texted and posted on social media about his conduct at the Capitol that day, expressing pride in his participation in assaults and unconcern for his victims. In one text exchange sent on the evening of January 6th, Whitton informed an associate that he “didn’t actually get in the building but everything else I was in the middle of.” He then sent images of his bloodied hands, stating, “This is from a bad cop. . . I fed him to the people. Idk his status. And I don’t care tbh.”

           The FBI arrested Whitton on April 1, 2021, in Locust Grove, Georgia.

           This case was prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Department of Justice National Security Division’s Counterterrorism Section. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Northern District of Georgia.

           The case was investigated by the FBI’s Atlanta and Washington Field Offices, which identified Whitton as #130 in its seeking information photos. Valuable assistance was provided by the Metropolitan Police Department and the U.S. Capitol Police.

           In the 39 months since Jan. 6, 2021, more than 1,385 individuals have been charged in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including nearly 500 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement, a felony. The investigation remains ongoing.

            Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit

Updated May 2, 2024

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 24-382