Skip to main content
Press Release

Ohio Man Sentenced to 36 Months in Prison for Actions Related to Capitol Breach

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of Columbia
Defendant Illegally Entered Capitol, Stole Coat Rack

            WASHINGTON – An Ohio man was sentenced today to 36 months in prison on felony and misdemeanor charges stemming from his actions during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021, including the theft of a coat rack from the Capitol Building. His and others’ actions disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the presidential election.

            Dustin Byron Thompson, 38, of Columbus, Ohio, was sentenced in the District of Columbia. He was found guilty by a jury on April 14, 2022.

            A co-defendant, Robert Anthony Lyon, 28, of Reynoldsburg, Ohio, pleaded guilty on March 14, 2022, to misdemeanor charges of theft of government property and disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds. He was sentenced on Sept. 22, 2022, to 40 days in jail, followed by a year of supervised release. Lyon also must pay a $1,000 fine and $2,000 in restitution.

            According to the government’s evidence, Thompson and Lyon went to the U.S. Capitol Building on Jan. 6 following a rally near the Washington Monument.  At approximately 2 p.m., both entered the restricted grounds of the Capitol. Thompson, wearing a bulletproof vest, unlawfully entered the building, then proceeded to the Senate Parliamentarian’s Office and stole a bottle of bourbon.  After being directed out of the building by U.S. Capitol Police Officers, Thompson re-entered, this time with Lyon. Thompson stole a coat rack from the same Parliamentarian’s office. He sent a photo to Lyon of himself posing with the coat rack, as well as a video that showed him yelling, “Woooo!!” and additionally showed a ransacked office. Thompson later approached Lyon carrying the coat rack. At one point, Lyon sent a message to Thompson stating, “We need to get the f--- out with this trophy.”

            Later that evening, after watching violence at the North Doors and Lower West Terrace Tunnel, Thompson was stopped by U.S. Capitol Police officers while waiting for an Uber while still on Capitol grounds.  Lyon was arrested, while Thompson fled, leaving the coat rack behind.

            Thompson was arrested on Jan. 25, 2021, in Ohio. The jury found him guilty of one felony, obstruction of an official proceeding, and five misdemeanor offenses. The misdemeanor charges include theft of government property; entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds; disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds; disorderly conduct in a Capitol Building, and parading, demonstrating, or picketing in a Capitol Building.

            Following completion of his prison term, Thompson will be placed on three years of supervised release. He also must pay $2,000 in restitution.

            The case was prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia with assistance from the Department of Justice National Security Division’s Counterterrorism Section. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of Ohio.

            The case was investigated by the FBI’s Washington and Cincinnati Field Offices. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department.

            In the 22 months since Jan. 6, 2021, nearly 900 individuals have been arrested in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including over 275 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement. The investigation remains ongoing. 

            Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit


Updated November 18, 2022

Violent Crime
Press Release Number: 22-413