Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

The following is a sampling of some of the questions we hear from callers to our office. If your question is not answered here, please feel free to contact us at: (916) 554-2700 or you can write to us at: 501 I Street, Suite 10-100 Sacramento, CA 95814.

The office is called the "U.S. Attorney's Office;" does that mean you represent "U.S." citizens like myself?

We represent the federal government in virtually all litigation involving the United States in the Eastern District of California. This includes all criminal prosecutions for violations of federal law, civil lawsuits by and against the government, and actions to collect judgments and restitution on behalf of victims and taxpayers. However, we do not generally represent private individuals in litigation against another person, company or government agency.

Okay, then can you suggest someone who could represent me?

Sorry, our office is not permitted to make direct referrals. May we suggest, however, that you contact the California State Bar Association at who can refer you to an attorney that handles your particular type of litigation.

Is your office under the "Attorney General?"

Yes, but it is under United States Attorney General, not the California Attorney General.

Does your office pursue "deadbeat parents?"

Yes, federal law allows us to become involved when the non-custodial parent is in another state. He or she must have failed to pay a past due child support obligation for over a year, or one that is greater than $5000.

I am having a problem with a local business. Where can I turn for help?

Though it is not our function to provide legal advice, may we suggest that you contact either the Better Business Bureau at: BBB of Northeast California or BBB of Central California or the California Chamber of Commerce at: Both organizations have clearinghouses for such complaints.

I need to contact a federal agency other than the Department of Justice. Can you tell me how?

If the agency has a local office, you can look in the blue pages of the telephone book or on the Internet. If not, or if you need to contact their Washington, D.C. office, you may call the Federal Information Center toll-free at (800) 688-9889.

If I want to report a federal crime, who should I call?

Ultimately an investigative agency like the FBI (916-481-9110) or the DEA (415-436-7900) may handle your report, but you can call us first and we'll try to direct you to the correct agency.

Updated July 1, 2021