You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Eastern District of California

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Elk Grove Man Sentenced to 22 Years in Prison for Producing Child Pornography

SACRAMENTO, Calif. —Alexander Jordan Miller, 22, of Elk Grove, was sentenced today to 22 years in prison for producing child pornography, U.S. Attorney McGregor W. Scott announced.

U.S. Attorney Scott stated: “Miller was a social media predator who spent hours searching for victims who were old enough to know how to use social media, but young enough to be susceptible to his extortion scheme. Rather than physical force, he used fear to compel girls to create the videos he demanded. Today’s sentence rightly takes into account the physical and psychological pain he inflicted on the young, vulnerable victims.”

“This case highlights the critical importance of educating children about safe and responsible internet use,” said Special Agent in Charge Sean Ragan of the FBI Sacramento Field Office. “Miller used the anonymity of the internet to his advantage and used coercive threats, blackmail, and shame to put his young victims in impossible situations. The impact of Miller’s despicable behavior on his victims cannot be overstated. The FBI is committed to unmasking those who use the internet to exploit the innocence of our nation’s children. We hope Miller’s sentencing serves as caution to families about internet safety and as a message to would-be offenders that such crimes will not go undetected.”

According to court documents, in 2015, Miller, under various pseudonyms, used social media and a messaging app to persuade minor victims to take and then send nude photos of themselves engaged in sexually explicit conduct. In each instance, after Miller obtained one or more nude photos of the victim, Miller demanded that the victim provide additional, and increasingly graphic, nude videos and photos. Miller told each victim that if she did not provide more nude videos or photos, he would send the victim’s friends and family the explicit photos that the victim provided previously, or he threatened to post the victim’s photos on the internet. As part of this extortion scheme, Miller used at least 12 minor victims to produce child pornography. One of the victims was 11 years old at the time of the offense.

This case was the product of an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian A. Fogerty prosecuted the case.

This case was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by the United States Attorneys’ Offices and the Criminal Division’s Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state, and local resources to locate, apprehend, and prosecute those who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.usdoj.gov/psc. Click on the “resources” tab for information about Internet safety education.

Topic(s): 
Project Safe Childhood
Press Release Number: 
2:17-cr-52 JAM
Updated July 10, 2018