Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Your office is called the “U.S. Attorney’s Office.” Does that mean you represent individual U.S. citizens?

No, we do not represent individuals in litigation against other persons, companies, or government agencies. We represent the United States of America, its agencies, and employees.

2. Can you suggest someone who could represent me?

No, we cannot make attorney referrals. Consider consulting the State Bar of Alabama’s website ( or the Birmingham Bar Association’s Lawyer Referral Service website (

3. Does your office report to the “Attorney General”?

Our office operates within the authority of the Department of Justice, headed by U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions. We are not connected to the Alabama Attorney General’s Office. For state matters, please call the Alabama Attorney General’s Office at (256) 703-5500.

4. Does your office pursue “deadbeat parents”?

Yes, in some circumstances. Federal law allows us to become involved when the non-custodial parent is in another state. The parent must have failed to pay a past due child support obligation for over a year or one that is greater than $5,000. If you have a problem with unpaid child support, it is best to first contact the Family Support Division of the county District Attorney’s Office where the support order was issued.

5. I am having a problem with a local business. Where can I turn for help?

Though it is not our function to provide legal advice, consider contacting the Central Alabama Better Business Bureau, toll free in Alabama, at (800) 824-5274.

6. I need to contact a federal agency other than the Department of Justice. Can you tell me how?

If the agency has a local office, you can find its number in the blue pages of the telephone book. If not or if you need to contact an agency’s Washington, D.C. office, call the Federal Information Center toll-free at 800-688-9889.

7. Where can I get information about the American with Disabilities Act (ADA)?

The U.S. Department of Justice provides free ADA materials. The ADA Information Hotline is 800-514-0301 (voice) or 800-514-0383 (TDD).

A list of ADA materials available from the Department of Justice is listed at /crt/ada/publicat.htm.

You can file an Americans with Disabilities Act complaint alleging disability discrimination against a state or local government or a public accommodation (including, for example, a restaurant, doctor’s office, retail store, hotel, etc.) by mail or e-mail.

To learn more about filing an ADA complaint, visit

To file an ADA complaint, you may fill out this form and mail or fax the form to:

US Department of Justice
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Civil Rights Division
Disability Rights Section – 1425 NYAV
Washington, D.C. 20530
Fax: (202) 307-1197

You may also file a complaint by e-mail at

8. I need a copy of Federal Tort Claim Form 95. Can you send me a copy?

Claim forms can be obtained from the federal agency to which you are going to submit the claim form.

9. I want to make a complaint about “XYZ Company.” I want the government to conduct an investigation.

Please send a letter and your documentation to:
Federal Bureau of Investigation
1000 18th Street North
Birmingham, AL 35203

10. Can you refer me to a Federal Public Defender?

The Federal Public Defender for the Northern District of Alabama is Kevin L. Butler.  You may contact his office at (205) 278-2102.

Updated July 8, 2021