Skip to main content
Press Release

San Francisco Police Officer Arrested And Charged With Robbing Bank

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of California

SAN FRANCISCO – San Francisco police officer Rain Olson Daugherty was arrested yesterday and charged this morning with robbing a San Francisco bank, announced United States Attorney Alex. G. Tse and Federal Bureau of Investigation Special Agent in Charge John F. Bennett. 

According to an affidavit filed in connection with the case, on November 29, 2018, Daugherty, 44, of San Francisco, is the person who allegedly robbed entered the East West Bank in the Sunset District of San Francisco and handed a teller a note that demanded money in $50 and $100 denominations.  The robber then said something to the effect of “calm down, just do it.”  The teller gave a stack of cash and gave it to the robber.  A second teller, who had observed the robber pass the note, pressed the alarm and left the area to notify a bank manager of the robbery.  The robber took approximately $9,000 from the bank.

According to documents filed with the court, Daugherty is currently under suspension without pay.  Daugherty was charged with bank robbery, in a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 2113(a).   

A complaint merely alleges that crimes have been committed, and the defendant is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.  The defendant faces a maximum statutory penalty of 20 years in prison for the charge.  Additional fines, forfeitures, restitution, and special assessments also may be imposed.  However, any sentence will be imposed by the court only after consideration of the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines and the federal statute governing the imposition of a sentence, 18 U.S.C. § 3553.   

The defendant currently is in federal custody and is scheduled to appear before U.S. Magistrate Judge Sallie Kim on December 19, 2018, for arraignment.  

Assistant U.S. Attorney Ajay Krishnamurthy with the assistance of Kimberly Richardson.  The prosecution is the result of an investigation by the FBI with assistance from the San Francisco Police Department.  

Updated December 20, 2018