Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Northern District of New York

Monday, May 9, 2016

Bank Robber Sentenced to 135 Months in Prison

Utica man robbed banks in Schenectady, Utica and Columbia, South Carolina

ALBANY, NEW YORK – Calvin Stephon Moore, age 50, of Utica, New York, was sentenced today to serve 135 months in prison for three bank robberies he committed in 2014. 

The announcement was made by United States Attorney Richard S. Hartunian and Andrew W. Vale, Special Agent in Charge of the Albany Division of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. 

Senior U.S. District Judge Thomas J. McAvoy also sentenced Moore to serve 3 years of post-imprisonment supervised release, and to pay $7,953 in restitution to his victims. 

Moore pled guilty in October 2015 to committing bank robberies in Schenectady, Utica and Columbia, South Carolina. 

On November 17, 2014, Moore and another man robbed a KeyBank branch in Schenectady. During the robbery, Moore told a teller, “this is a hold up give me money.”  The two robbers fled the bank with $5,035.  Schenectady Police found and arrested Moore’s accomplice near the bank; the accomplice had a backpack containing the stolen money and a copy of Moore’s birth certificate. 

The following day, Moore robbed an Adirondack Bank branch in Utica. He handed the teller a demand note, which stated: “THIS IS A ROBBERY. I HAVE A GUN AND WILL SHOOT IF YOU TRY ANYTHING. PUT ALL THE LOOSE BILLS (EVERY DENOMINATION) IN THE BAG … NO DYE PACK OR TRACERS OR I WILL SHOOT!”  Moore fled the bank with $1,647. 

Moore then traveled to South Carolina. 

On December 30, 2014, Moore entered a First Citizens Bank branch in Columbia. He approached a teller and presented a note in which he demanded money.  He also told the teller he had a gun.  Moore fled the bank with $1,271, into which a teller had placed an exploding dye pack. 

Moore was arrested on the night of December 30 by officers from the Cayce, South Carolina, Police Department, who responded to a report of a person at a motel tossing a suspicious item over a fence and into a parking lot. The item was a bank dye pack. 

The investigation into the Schenectady and Utica robberies was conducted by the FBI, and the Schenectady and Utica Police Departments. 

The investigation into the Columbia, South Carolina robbery was conducted by the Columbia Division of the FBI, and the Columbia and Cayce Police Departments. 

The Newark Division of the FBI also assisted in this investigation. 

This case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Michael Barnett of the Northern District of New York, and by Assistant United States Attorney Benjamin N. Garner of the District of South Carolina.

Violent Crime
Updated May 9, 2016