Skip to main content
Press Release

Fort Worth Man, Who Ran A Hydroponic Supply Store, Is Sentenced To 37 Months In Federal Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Texas

DALLAS — William Luck, II was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Jane J. Boyle to 37 months in federal prison, following his guilty plea in February 2013 to one count of failure to File IRS Form 8300. Judge Boyle ordered that he surrender to the Bureau of Prisons on August 21, 2013. Today’s announcement was made by U.S. Attorney Sarah R. Saldaña of the Northern District of Texas.

According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), one must file Form 8300, Report of Cash Payments Over $10,000 Received in a Trade or Business, if one’s business receives more than $10,000 in cash from one buyer as a result of a single transaction or two or more related transactions.

According to the factual resume filed in the case, Luck owned a business called Hydro Expo. Law enforcement learned that Hydro Expo was facilitating indoor marijuana cultivating operations by supplying growing equipment and supplies to persons who were illegally growing marijuana. During an undercover operation, law enforcement arranged the purchase of approximately $20,000 worth of growing equipment and supplies from Hydro Expo; Luck was clearly informed that the equipment and supplies were going to be used in an illegal indoor hydroponic marijuana cultivation operation.

In October 2009, according to the factual resume, Luck accepted $17,000 in cash from an undercover who then took delivery of the marijuana growing equipment. During that meeting, Luck stated that he would break up the $17,000 cash into smaller amounts and that he would not identify the purchasers in any paperwork. Luck never filed the required IRS Form 8300, as required by law and regulations.

According to the order setting conditions for his release, Luck is a resident of Fort Worth. According to the plea agreement filed in the case, Luck agreed to pay $17,000 to the IRS in satisfaction of restitution associated with conduct underlying his conviction.

The case was investigated by the Drug Enforcement Administration and Internal Revenue Service - Criminal Investigation.

Deputy Criminal Chief Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Dewald was in charge of the prosecution.

Updated June 22, 2015