Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of New Mexico

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Albuquerque Man Pleads Guilty to Brandishing a Firearm During Robbery of the First Financial Credit Union in February 2014

ALBUQUERQUE – Devin Jasperse, 31, of Albuquerque, N.M., pled guilty this morning in federal court to the armed robbery of the First Financial Credit Union located on Coors Boulevard in Albuquerque, and to brandishing a semi-automatic pistol during the commissioning of that crime.

Jasperse was arrested on March 27, 2014, on a criminal complaint charging him with the armed robbery of the bank on Feb. 19, 2014, and with brandishing a firearm during a crime of violence.  Jasperse subsequently was indicted on the same charges in a two-count indictment on April 23, 2014.

During today’s proceedings, Jasperse pled guilty to both counts of the indictment and admitted that on Feb. 19, 2014, he robbed the First Financial Credit Union at gunpoint.  Jasperse admitted climbing over the teller counter, and yelling that he was committing a bank robbery and that he had a gun.  After three bank tellers complied with his demands for cash, Jasperse climbed back over the teller counter and ran out of the bank with the cash.  In entering his guilty plea, Jasperse also admitted that he disposed of the gun he used in the armed bank robbery and that he had stashed another firearm at an apartment which was later seized by law enforcement.

At sentencing, Jasperse faces a statutory maximum penalty of 25 years in federal prison on the armed bank robbery charge.  He also faces a mandatory seven years in prison on the firearms charge that must be served consecutive to any sentence imposed on the armed bank robbery charge.  Jasperse remains in custody pending a sentencing hearing which has yet to be scheduled.

This case was investigated by the Albuquerque office of the FBI and the Albuquerque Police Department.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Lynn Wei-Yu Wang is prosecuting this case.

Updated March 5, 2015