You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of New Mexico

Friday, December 12, 2014

Albuquerque Man Pleads Guilty to Federal Armed Bank Robbery and Firearms Charges

ALBUQUERQUE – Jeremy Gabriel Trujillo, 35, of Albuquerque, N.M. pleaded guilty yesterday in federal court to an armed bank robbery charge and to brandishing a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence.

Trujillo was arrested on July 28, 2014, on a criminal complaint charging him with robbing the Bank of Albuquerque branch on Wyoming Blvd. NE in Albuquerque, N.M.  The criminal complaint alleged that Trujillo robbed the bank at gunpoint that day.  On Aug. 26, 2014, Trujillo was indicted and charged with being a felon in possession of a firearm and ammunition; armed bank robbery; and brandishing a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence.  Court records reflect that in July 2014, Trujillo was prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition because he previously had been convicted of at least two felony offenses.

During yesterday’s hearing, Trujillo entered guilty pleas to Counts 2 and 3 of the indictment charging him with armed bank robbery and brandishing a firearm during and in relation to a crime of violence.  Trujillo admitted entering the Bank of Albuquerque branch and brandished a firearm in the direction of three bank tellers while demanding that they give him cash.  After the bank tellers complied with his demands, Trujillo left the bank.

At sentencing, Trujillo faces a statutory maximum penalty of 25 years in prison for his armed bank robbery conviction.  He also faces a minimum of seven years in prison for his firearms conviction which must be served consecutive to the sentence imposed for the armed bank robbery conviction.   Under the terms of his plea agreement, Trujillo also must pay restitution for bank robberies committed on April 29, 2014 at the Bank of Albuquerque and on May 7, 2014 at the Wells Fargo Bank in Albuquerque.

Trujillo has been in federal custody since his arrest.  He remains detained pending his sentencing hearing, which has yet to be scheduled.

This case was investigated by the Albuquerque office of the FBI and the Albuquerque Police Department and is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney David M. Walsh. 

Updated January 26, 2015