Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of New Mexico

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Albuquerque Man Sentenced for Federal Bank Robbery Conviction

ALBUQUERQUE – Isaiah Gallegos, 22, of Albuquerque, N.M., was sentenced this morning in federal court to 37 months in prison followed by three years of supervised release for his conviction on an armed bank robbery charge.


Isaiah Gallegos was arrested in March 2016, on a criminal complaint charging him and four co-defendants, Greg Miera, 51, Martin Huerta, 43, Christian Herrera, 21, and Christopher Gallegos, 33, all of Albuquerque, with bank robbery. According to the complaint, a source identified the co-defendants as the individuals involved in robbing the US Bank branch located at 5620 Wyoming Blvd. NE in Albuquerque, on March 30, 2016. The complaint alleged that Albuquerque Police Department (APD) officers conducted surveillance as a vehicle with four men pulled up to the US Bank on the afternoon of March 30, 2016. The complaint alleged that three of the men remained in the vehicle while the fourth entered the bank, threatened to shoot the bank employees, and demanded that two bank tellers place cash into a plastic bag.


Isaiah Gallegos, Huertta, Miera, Herrera and Christopher Gallegos were indicted on April 27, 2016, and charged with bank robbery.


On April 25, 2017, Isaiah Gallegos pled guilty to the indictment and admitted that on March 30, 2016, he participated in the robbery of the US Bank branch located at 5620 Wyoming Blvd. NE in Albuquerque by acting as lookout while his co-defendants robbed the bank.


Isaiah Gallegos’ four co-defendants have entered guilty pleas and two have been sentenced. Huertta pled guilty on Sept. 9, 2016 and was sentenced on March 14, 2017 to 108 months in prison followed by five years of supervised release. Miera pled guilty on Oct. 11, 2016, and was sentenced on June 8, 2017, to 78 months in prison followed by five years of supervised release. Christopher Gallegos entered a guilty plea on Feb. 13, 2017, and Herrera entered a guilty plea on Feb. 24, 2017. At sentencing, Christopher Gallegos and Herrera each face a statutory maximum penalty of 25 years in federal prison. They remain in custody pending sentencing hearings.


This case was investigated by the Albuquerque office of the FBI and the Albuquerque Police Department. Assistant U.S. Attorney Letitia C. Simms is prosecuting the case.

Updated August 15, 2017