Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of New Mexico

Thursday, June 5, 2014

Roswell Man Sentenced to Prison for Unlawful Possession of Firearm and Ammunition

ALBUQUERQUE – Theodore Olguin, 26, of Roswell, N.M., was sentenced in federal court in Las Cruces, N.M., to 60 months in federal prison followed by three years of supervised release for being a felon in possession of a firearm.

Olguin was charged in May 2012, in a two-count indictment alleging that he unlawfully possessed a firearm and ammunition on Feb. 15, 2011 and on Feb. 23, 2011, in Eddy County, N.M.  At the time, Olguin was prohibited from possessing firearms or ammunition because he previously had been convicted of burglary of a vehicle in the 5th Judicial District Court for the State of New Mexico.  Olguin was arrested on Aug. 14, 2012, and has been in federal custody since that time.

On Jan. 15, 2013, Olguin entered a guilty plea to Count 2 of the indictment charging him with unlawfully possessing a firearm and ammunition on Feb. 23, 2011.

According to court filings, Olguin was arrested on local charges by the Artesia Police Department on Feb. 23, 2011, after officers recovered a loaded pistol from his vehicle following a traffic stop.  Investigation revealed that the pistol, which had been reported stolen in Sept. 2010, and had been used to shoot at the residence of a Artesia police officer in Jan. 2011.  The pistol also had been used to shoot at two vehicles parked in the driveway of an Artesia police officer’s residence on Feb. 15. 2011.  Evidence presented during a court hearing indicated that Olguin fired the pistol on both occasions, and the court relied on this information in enhancing Olguin’s sentence by 14 months.

This case was investigated by the Roswell office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, the New Mexico State Police and the Artesia Police Department and was prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Mark A. Saltman of the U.S. Attorney’s Las Cruces Branch Office.

Updated January 26, 2015