Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of Oregon

Wednesday, August 13, 2014

34-Year Old Career Offender Sentenced to Over Fifteen Years in Federal Prison for Methamphetamine Dealing

PORTLAND, Ore. - U. S. District Judge Marco A. Hernandez sentenced Portland-area man, Steven Lee Gill, to 188 months in federal prison on August 13, 2014.  In January 2014, Gill pleaded guilty to possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine.  His sentence was increased because he was found to be a “career offender,” under federal sentencing law, based on his lengthy criminal history that included convictions for crimes of violence.

“This sentence will incapacitate this career offender and protect the public,” said U.S. Attorney Amanda S. Marshall.  “Federal law requires long sentences where drug dealing, firearms, and a significant criminal history come together at sentencing.  This case demonstrates that career criminals will go to prison for a very long time when they end up in federal court.”

Portland Police arrested Gill, who is also known as Steven Schaible, on November 2, 2012 who was found in possession of large quantities of methamphetamine and heroin and two firearms, in a car he operated alone.  Gill had seven previous adult felony convictions, including drug delivery, assault and a conviction related to a drive by shooting, at the time of his arrest.  Gill admitted to Portland Police officers that he was a methamphetamine and heroin dealer and possessed a .45 caliber handgun and 12-gauge shotgun for protection.  In addition to the over-fifteen year prison term, Judge Hernandez ordered that Gill will face supervision by federal authorities for five years after his sentence is served.

The case was investigated by Portland Police Bureau and the Drug Enforcement Administration and prosecuted by Assistant U. S. Attorney Thomas H. Edmonds.

Updated January 29, 2015