You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of South Dakota

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Wakpala Man Sentenced for Abusive Sexual Contact

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a Wakpala, South Dakota, man convicted of Abusive Sexual Contact was sentenced on August 15, 2016, by U.S. District Judge Charles B. Kornmann.

Charles Edward Gabe, age 20, was sentenced to 60 months in custody, 5 years of Supervised Release, and a special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund in the amount of $100.

Gabe was indicted by a federal grand jury on January 21, 2016.  He pled guilty on May 9, 2016.

The conviction stemmed from an incident on January 4, 2016, when a Special Agent (SA) with the Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) was dispatched to Mobridge regional hospital for an interview with a minor female, who reported being sexually assaulted by her cousin, Charles Edward Gabe.  Earlier in the evening, the victim was sitting downstairs in the living room at her home in Wakpala, South Dakota, when her mom informed her that she was leaving to run an errand.  About this same time, Gabe entered the living room and looked out a window to make sure the victim’s mother had left.  Gabe closed the curtain to the window and began to tickle and kiss the victim on the neck.  Gabe then proceeded to get on top of the victim and shoved his hand down her pants, penetrating her vagina with one of his fingers.  The victim tried to get him off of her but could not due to his size and weight.   Gabe continued the assault by pulling out his penis and placing the victim’s hand on it.  The victim began to cry, at which time Gabe discontinued the assault and fled back to his room.

The following day, Gabe admitted to touching the victim’s vaginal area with his hand, inserting his finger into the victim’s vagina, and placing the victim’s hand on his penis during the encounter.

This case was investigated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Standing Rock Agency.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Troy R. Morley prosecuted the case.

Gabe was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Violent Crime
Updated August 16, 2016