Rochester Man Who Took 14 Year Old To New York City Pleads Guilty To Production Of Child Pornography
For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of New York
CONTACT: Barbara Burns
PHONE: (716) 843-5817
FAX #: (716) 551-3051
BUFFALO, N.Y. - U.S. Attorney James P. Kennedy, Jr. announced today that Robert Gonzalez, 42, of Rochester, NY, pleaded guilty before U.S. District Judge Elizabeth A. Wolford to production of child pornography. The charges carry a mandatory minimum penalty of 15 years in prison and a maximum of 30 years.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Richard A. Resnick, who is handling the case, stated that on December 3, 2018, the Rochester Police Department received a 911 call from a mother regarding her missing daughter, a 14-year-old victim, who had not been seen since December 1, 2018. The mother, who attempted to call the victim’s cell phone several times without success, told police that the victim left the house that day around 1:00 p.m. without her permission. The mother also told officers that she recently discovered that the victim was in an inappropriate sexual relationship with defendant. The mother stated that she caught the defendant kissing the victim in front of her house, and that the victim confessed to the mother that she had been dating Gonzalez and that they had sex numerous times. In addition to further confirming the sexual nature of their relationship, a review of the victim’s social media indicated that she may have travelled to New York City. The defendant’s friend further advised officers that the defendant told him that he took the victim to New York City but would not state exactly where in New York City.
An emergency trace was put on the defendant's cell phone which showed that he was in fact in New York City. An Amber Alert was issued and the FBI and NYPD assisted with the investigation and ultimately apprehended Robert Gonzalez. The defendant was apprehended on December 6, 2018, at the Red Carpet Inn in Brooklyn, NY.
At the time of his arrest, officers seized Gonzalez’s cell phone. A search of the recovered numerous videos, taken between November 12, 2018, and November 19, 2018, of the defendant engaging in sexual activity with the victim.
The plea is the result of an investigation by the Rochester Police Department, under the direction of Chief La’Ron Singletary, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, under the direction Special Agent-in-Charge Gary Loeffert, and the New York Police Department, under the direction of Chief Terence Monahan.
Sentencing is scheduled for October 3, 2019, at 2:00 p.m. before Judge Wolford.
# # # #
Updated July 22, 2019
Project Safe Childhood