Sexual Harassment in Housing Initiative - What Happens When I Report?

"It was hard to report the harassment, but now I have peace. I can relax and feel like I'm home. This is mine."

After you contact DOJ, we will talk to you about your experience. After that, we may do the following:

  • Encourage you to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development
  • Investigate your harasser(s)
  • Decide whether to file a lawsuit
  • Inform your harasser(s) that threatening or evicting people because they reported harassment is against the law
  • Request a court order to protect your privacy during a lawsuit
  • Gather evidence
  • Attempt to negotiate and settle the lawsuit
  • Argue the case at trial

We will keep you updated on where we are in the process.

Updated November 7, 2018

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?
Yes No