LOS ANGELES – Salvador Huizar – the brother of former Los Angeles City Councilman José Huizar, who faces federal racketeering charges stemming from a “pay-to-play” scheme – admitted in a plea agreement filed today in United States District Court that he took cash from José Huizar on numerous occasions and immediately wrote checks back to him or arranged to pay his expenses, and then lied about his actions to federal investigators.
Salvador Huizar, 57, of Boyle Heights, agreed to plead guilty to one felony count of making false statements to federal investigators, acknowledging that he repeatedly lied about accepting cash from his brother, including to a federal grand jury and most recently two weeks ago during an interview with FBI agents and federal prosecutors.
“Between at least November 26, 2013, and August 22, 2018, upon José Huizar’s request, [Salvador Huizar] accepted envelopes of cash from José Huizar on at least 20 occasions,” Salvador Huizar admitted in the plea agreement. “In exchange, [Salvador Huizar] contemporaneously wrote checks, or facilitated electronic payments from [his] own bank account, to either José Huizar directly or to pay José Huizar’s expenses in the same amounts as the cash provided by José Huizar.”
Even though Salvador Huizar asked his brother on multiple occasions about the cash, José Huizar said “it was better that [Salvador Huizar] did not know the source of the cash,” according to the plea agreement.
Salvador Huizar admitted he lied to FBI agents on November 17, 2018, when he falsely stated that José Huizar never asked him to write any checks, except on two occasions and for which he was not paid back. However, on at least 20 occasions, José Huizar gave his brother an envelope of cash and asked him to write checks or facilitate electronic payments to José Huizar or for his expenses, the plea agreement states.
Salvador Huizar also admitted he made false statements to the FBI and federal prosecutors on January 30, 2020 – when he said cash from his brother was to pay off a debt or that he received cash later, after the check was written – and two weeks ago when he reiterated these false statements before recanting and saying José Huizar regularly had cash with him and gave Salvador Huizar cash at the time he wrote the checks.
During an appearance before a federal grand jury on March 5, 2020, Salvador Huizar also made false statements when he testified under oath that cash from José Huizar was to pay off a debt and that cash was received only after Salvador Huizar wrote a check to his brother.
As part of his plea agreement, Salvador Huizar has agreed to cooperate with the government’s ongoing investigation and has agreed to testify at the next two trials in this case.
Salvador Huizar is expected to formally enter his guilty plea before a federal judge in the coming weeks. The charge of making a false statement to a federal agency carries a statutory maximum sentence of five years in federal prison.
Assistant United States Attorneys Mack E. Jenkins, Chief of the Public Corruption and Civil Rights Section; Susan S. Har and J. Jamari Buxton of the Public Corruption and Civil Rights Section; and Patrick A. Castañeda of the International Narcotics, Money Laundering, and Racketeering Section are prosecuting the case against Salvador Huizar.
José Huizar and former Los Angeles Deputy Mayor Raymond Chan are scheduled to go to trial on February 21, 2023, on federal charges alleging they conspired to violate the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act. Huizar allegedly agreed to accept at least $1.5 million in illicit financial benefits and faces dozens of additional federal criminal charges.
Previously in this racketeering case, real estate developer Dae Yong Lee and one of his companies were convicted in June of federal criminal charges for providing $500,000 in cash to José Huizar and his special assistant in exchange for their help in resolving a labor organization’s appeal of their downtown Los Angeles development project and obstructing justice by falsifying financial documents.
The next scheduled trial in this case is scheduled to begin October 25. Shen Zhen New World I LLC, an entity owned by real estate developer Wei Huang, is charged with bribing Huizar related to another downtown Los Angeles development project. Huang remains a fugitive.
Any member of the public who has information related to this or any other public corruption matter in the City of Los Angeles is encouraged to send information to the FBI’s tip line at tips.fbi.gov or to contact the FBI’s Los Angeles Field Office at (310) 477-6565.