Skip to main content
Press Release

Clayton Man Sentenced in Child Pornography Case

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of North Carolina

RALEIGH, N.C. – A Clayton man was sentenced today by Judge James C. Dever III to a total of 97 months for Receipt of Child Pornography.  On September 30, 2021, John Camarda, 68, pled guilty to the charge.

According to court documents and other information presented in court, in early 2020, agents with Homeland Security Investigations became aware that a certain IP address within the Eastern District of North Carolina had visited two dark web websites dedicated to the distribution and trading of child pornography related to babies and toddlers.  The officer discovered the IP addresses belonged to John Camarda who lived in Clayton, North Carolina. 

On July 16, 2020, agents executed a search warrant at Camarda’s home.  Camarda confessed to viewing child pornography on the dark web and said he had been engaged in such behavior since 2008.  Camarda said he had looked at thousands of images and videos over the years but would not save them to his computer.  He admitted to maintaining a document that contained a list of websites that contained child pornography that he liked.

Digital devices were seized from the residence and were forensically analyzed.  There was substantial evidence of Camarda accessing websites dedicated to child pornography as well as specific images and videos of child pornography.  In addition, Camarda had multiple videos on his computer depicting children engaging in sexual activity.  Some of these videos depicted toddlers engaged in sexual activity and some depicted children engaged in sadistic and masochistic conduct.  Agents found the document to which Camarda referred that was a list of over 30 pages of websites containing child pornography. 

Michael Easley, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of North Carolina made the announcement after the sentencing by U.S. District Judge James C. Dever III.  Homeland Security Investigations investigated the case with the assistance of the State Bureau of Investigation, Cary Police Department, Johnston County Sheriff’s Office and the United States Marshal’s Service.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Charity Wilson  prosecuted the case.

This case was part of the Project Safe Childhood initiative, a national program aimed at ensuring that criminals exploiting children are effectively prosecuted by making full use of all available law enforcement resources at every level.  For more information about this important national project, Project Safe Childhood, go to www.projectsafechildhood.gov.

Related court documents and information can be found on the website of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina or on PACER by searching for Case No. 5:21-cr-00217-D.

Updated May 25, 2022

Topics
Project Safe Childhood