Skip to main content
Press Release

Last of Four Convicted for Role in Takeover-Style Robbery of AT&T Store in Grand Prairie is Sentenced to 120 Months in Federal Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Northern District of Texas

DALLAS — The last of four Dallas individuals who were involved in the January 2015 takeover-style robbery of an AT&T store in Grand Prairie, Texas, was sentenced today, announced U.S. Attorney John Parker of the Northern District of Texas.

Anthony Poe, 22, of Dallas, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge David C. Godbey to 120 months in federal prison following his guilty plea in December 2015 to one count of possession with intent to distribute crack cocaine and one count of interference with commerce by robbery and aiding and abetting.

The leader of the group, Luther Elder, 30, was sentenced in May to 210 months in federal prison.  He pleaded guilty to one count of interference with commerce by robbery and aiding and abetting.  Brandon Walker, 29, and Chambrezia Johnson, 26, who pleaded guilty to the same offense, were also sentenced in May to 87 months and 53 months, respectively.  Judge Godbey also ordered Poe and Johnson to pay $13,854 in restitution, jointly and severally.

According to documents filed in the case, on January 23, 2015, Elder recruited Johnson and Poe, as well as another unknown individual, to assist him and Walker in robbing an AT&T store in Grand Prairie.  Upon picking up Johnson, Poe, and the unknown individual, Elder and Walker drove the group to a Wal-Mart in Grand Prairie, where Elder purchased a duffel bag and an “air gun” that was intended to be used in the robbery. 

After arriving at the AT&T store, Johnson and Walker entered the store to scout it out and determine how many people were in the store.  They left and advised Elder, who then instructed Poe and the unknown individual to rob the store and Johnson to stay in the back of the store as a potential getaway driver. 

At approximately 1:23 p.m., Poe entered the store carrying the “air gun” while the unknown individual entered and brandished what appeared to be a firearm.  Poe and the unknown individual ordered all of the employees to the back of the store and the unknown individual struck an 81-year-old customer on the side of the head, because she was not complying fast enough with his demands, and then drug her to the rear of the store by her neck.  Poe and the unknown individual demanded cash and cell phones from the victims, fled the store, and were picked up by Elder and Walker.  Elder and Walker than dropped off Poe and the unknown individual at a motel before being arrested as they were in route to sell the stolen phones.

Regarding Poe’s drug conviction, on April 17, 2014, when officers arrived at a residence on Colonial Drive in Dallas to investigate a drug complaint, Poe opened the door holding a revolver in his hand and after seeing the officers, quickly attempted to flee.  Officers, who had smelled a strong odor of marijuana coming from inside, then entered the residence and detained Poe.  Several baggies of crack cocaine, marijuana, and a second handgun were in plain view.  Poe admitted he knowingly possessed with the intent to deliver more than 28 grams of crack cocaine.

The case was investigated by the Grand Prairie Police Department, the Dallas Police Department and the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Brian Poe prosecuted the case.

# # #

Updated August 29, 2016

Violent Crime