You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of South Dakota

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Bullhead Man Sentenced for Abusive Sexual Contact of a Person Incapable of Consent

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a Bullhead, South Dakota, man convicted of Abusive Sexual Contact of a Person Incapable of Consent was sentenced on August 17, 2017, by U.S. District Judge Charles B. Kornmann.

Jimmie High Cat, age 29, was sentenced to 26 months in custody, followed by 5 years of supervised release, and a special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund in the amount of $100.

High Cat was indicted by a federal grand jury on May 12, 2015. He pled guilty on May 18, 2017.

The conviction stems from an incident on December 7, 2013, when the victim was out for a walk in Bullhead, and a car pulled up to her and asked her if she wanted to come hang out. She accepted the invitation and went back to a private social gathering. Present at the residence were approximately six people, including High Cat.

As the evening wore on, the victim drank to the point of passing out. She awoke to find that her pants and underwear had been removed and she was lying on her back with a person touching her genitalia. The victim was able to get away and fled to her home in Bullhead, disclosed she was raped, and immediately notified law enforcement to report the sexual assault. The victim was transported to Mobridge Regional Hospital and a sexual assault examination was performed.

The victim identified her attacker as a brother of a person she knew. Law enforcement located High Cat as a possible suspect in the incident. High Cat initially denied the incident, but later admitted to having abusive sexual contact with the victim, stopping after about five minutes because he knew it was wrong.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Standing Rock Agency. Assistant U.S. Attorney Troy R. Morley prosecuted the case.

High Cat was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Indian Country Law and Justice
Updated August 29, 2017