Skip to main content
Press Release

Colorado Man Sentenced for Possession with Intent to Distribute Methamphetamine

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a Colorado man convicted of two counts of Possession with Intent to Distribute a Controlled Substance was sentenced on March 7, 2016, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Nathan Van Weeda, age 44, was sentenced to 51 months in custody, 3 years of supervised release, a $100 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund, and forfeiture of $1,327 in cash, a stun gun, two cell phones, and an iPod Touch.

          Weeda was indicted by a federal grand jury on October 15, 2014.  He pled guilty on December 7, 2015.

          The conviction arose from an October 1, 2014, incident when a South Dakota Highway Patrol Trooper stopped a vehicle for speeding.  Weeda was the driver.  When the trooper made contact with Weeda, he smelled the odor of burnt marijuana coming from within the vehicle and saw a marijuana pipe in plain view on the console area.  The trooper advised Weeda that he would just issue him a warning.  While Weeda was talking to the trooper, Weeda appeared to be overly nervous for someone being issued only a warning ticket.  The trooper learned that Weeda did not have a driver’s license and told Weeda he would be cited for No Valid Driver License. 

          Weeda admitted the marijuana pipe in the vehicle belonged to him, but said it was legal in Colorado.  He denied having any marijuana in the car.  The trooper searched the vehicle and found various drug paraphernalia, which included seven baggies of methamphetamine totaling 6.8 ounces.  When Weeda was arrested, the trooper located $1,327 in cash in Weeda’s front pocket.  Before he left for jail, Weeda turned over a plastic bag that contained methamphetamine from the inside pocket of his jeans.

          This case was investigated by the South Dakota Highway Patrol.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Miller prosecuted the case.

          Weeda was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

# # #

Updated March 16, 2016