You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of South Dakota

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Eagle Butte Man and Utah Man Sentenced for Robbery

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that an Eagle Butte, South Dakota, man and an Ogden, Utah, man convicted of Robbery were sentenced by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.


Ryker Talbot, age 20, from Ogden, Utah, was sentenced on January 30, 2017, to 84 months in custody, to be followed by 3 years of supervised release. Dominic Houston, age 18, from Eagle Butte, South Dakota, was sentenced on December 19, 2016, to 46 months in custody, followed by 2 years of supervised release. Both were ordered to pay $1,743.20 in restitution to the Eagle Stop Convenience Store and Gas Station in Eagle Butte, on a joint and several basis, and a special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund in the amount of $100.00 each.


Talbot and Houston were indicted by a federal grand jury on July 26, 2016. Talbot pled guilty on November 8, 2016, and Houston pled guilty on September 27, 2016.


The conviction stems from an incident on July 2, 2016, when Talbot and Houston discussed committing a robbery. Ultimately, the decision was made to rob the Eagle Stop. Shortly before 1:00 a.m. on Saturday, July 2, 2016, Talbot and Houston traveled to the vicinity of the Eagle Stop. Houston remained outside of the store and served as a lookout. Talbot entered the Eagle Stop, carrying a Maverick 12-gauge shotgun. Talbot pointed the shotgun at the clerk and demanded money. Talbot then racked the shotgun and repeated his demand to be given money. The clerk gave Talbot money from the cash registers in the store. Talbot then demanded the clerk to give him two cartons of cigarettes, and the clerk complied. Talbot exited the store with the cash and cartons of cigarettes, and Talbot and Houston then left the scene. They later split up the proceeds acquired in the robbery.


This case was investigated by the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services, and the Division of Criminal Investigation. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Miller prosecuted the case.


Talbot and Houston were immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Indian Country Law and Justice
Updated February 4, 2017