Skip to main content
Press Release

Eagle Butte Man Sentenced for Assault

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that an Eagle Butte man, convicted of Assault By Strangulation and Suffocation, was sentenced on November 7, 2016, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Ronnie Antelope, Sr., a/k/a Ronald Noisy Hawk, Sr., age 55, was sentenced to 30 months in custody, followed by 2 years of supervised release, and a $100 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund. Antelope was also ordered to pay $1,995.00 in restitution to the victim for lost wages as a result of the assault.    

Antelope was indicted by a federal grand jury on May 17, 2016, for Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury, and Assault By Strangulation and Suffocation.  Antelope pled guilty to Assault By Strangulation and Suffocation on August 15, 2016. 

Antelope and the victim were in a relationship, and began living together in early 2016.

On April 17, 2016, Antelope drove to the victim’s place of employment.  Antelope was intoxicated and began accusing the victim of being with other men.  Antelope also began creating an issue with others who were present and the police were called.  When law enforcement arrived, Antelope became argumentative with the officer and was arrested.  After Antelope was taken into custody, his vehicle was turned over to the victim.

The next afternoon, the victim went to drop Antelope’s vehicle off at the jail on her way to work, thinking that Antelope would still be in custody.  However, Antelope had already been released from custody by the time she arrived.  Antelope drove the victim to where she worked.    

When they got to the victim’s work, Antelope refused to let her out of the vehicle.  He accused her of being with other men she worked with and then drove away with her still in the car.  They went to various places throughout the day, and whenever the victim would get out of the vehicle, Antelope would go with her.  During the day, Antelope began consuming alcohol, and continued to accuse the victim of being interested in other men. 

When they returned home and the victim was getting out of the car, Antelope reached over from the driver's side, grabbed the door, and pulled it shut on the victim’s lower left leg.  Antelope grabbed the victim by the throat and squeezed.  The victim had trouble breathing, began crying, and begged Antelope to stop.  The victim nearly passed out.

The next thing the victim remembered was running away from the car.  Antelope pursued her, caught her, and threw her to the ground.  The victim landed on her left hand or arm.  Antelope then grabbed the victim by her hair and dragged her back toward their residence.  She continued to struggle in an effort to get away.

At that point, a neighbor exited their residence, told Antelope to stop, and said that she had called the police.  Antelope let go of the victim and went inside the house.  The victim was taken inside the neighbor’s home to wait for the police to arrive.

The victim sustained fractures to her right jaw bone and lower left arm.  There were visible scratches on her neck and an injury to her leg. She also had bruises on her left cheek and right forearm.

This case was investigated by the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Miller prosecuted the case. 

Antelope Sr. was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Updated November 15, 2016

Indian Country Law and Justice