Skip to main content
Press Release

Eagle Butte Man Sentenced for Assault

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that an Eagle Butte, South Dakota, man convicted of Assault Resulting in Substantial Bodily Injury to an Intimate Partner was sentenced on November 7, 2016, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Emmanuel Gomez, a/k/a Manny Gomez, age 29, was sentenced to 27 months in custody, followed by 2 years of supervised release, and a $100 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.     

Gomez was indicted by a federal grand jury on February 17, 2016, for Assault Resulting in Substantial Bodily Injury to an Intimate Partner. Gomez pled guilty to the Indictment on August 30, 2016. 

Gomez and the victim had been in a relationship for about six years, and have a daughter together.  They all lived together in the Swiftbird Community on the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Reservation. 

On November 22, 2015, Gomez was consuming alcohol at Bob's Steakhouse.  The victim was at home.  Gomez came home around 7:30 p.m.  very intoxicated.  He immediately began to argue with the victim and called her names.  The victim kept quiet, hoping not to provoke Gomez.  Gomez got up from the couch, went at the victim and grabbed her by her hair. Gomez hit the victim repeatedly in the face with his fist.  The victim fell back onto the couch.  Gomez fell down on the floor in front of her, and tried to get up and come back towards the victim. 

At that point, she began fighting back and started hitting Gomez.  Gomez bit the victim on the upper right thigh.  The victim yelled at Gomez in an attempt to get him to stop biting her.  When that did not work, the victim started hitting him in the face until he stopped biting her.

The victim pushed Gomez back and was able to get off the couch.  Gomez got up at the same time he victim did, continued to hit her on the arms, and bit her right arm.  The victim shoved Gomez back, causing him to fall backwards. She was able to get away at that point and ran out of the house without shoes or a coat.  She then went to a nearby friend's house.

The victim sustained two nasal fractures during the assault which required surgery.  The victim also had bruises and swelling to the left eye as well as to the bridge of her nose.  Her forehead, arms, left hip area, and right foot were bruised, and she had a large bruise and bite mark to her inner right thigh.

This case was investigated by the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Miller prosecuted the case.  Gomez was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Updated November 15, 2016

Indian Country Law and Justice