You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of South Dakota

Friday, December 20, 2013

Eagle Butte Man Sentenced For Assault With A Dangerous Weapon And Assault Resulting In Serious Bodily Injury

United States Attorney Brendan V. Johnson announced that an Eagle Butte, South Dakota, man convicted of Assault with a Dangerous Weapon and Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury was sentenced on December 19, 2013, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Martin Garreau, age 19, was sentenced to 48 months in custody, 2 years supervised release, and a $200 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.
Garreau was indicted for Assault with a Dangerous Weapon and Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury by a federal grand jury on April 12, 2013.  He was found guilty of the charges on October 9, 2013, following a jury trial.
The conviction stems from an incident that occurred on November 11, 2012, at Eagle Butte, in which Garreau and two other co-defendants were socializing and drinking at Garreau’s father’s house.  During the party, the victim, who was intoxicated, tried to invite himself in the house.  Several people at the party did not want the victim to join their group so a verbal argument ensued.  The argument escalated into a physical fight.  During the fight, Garreau and another co-defendant smashed several empty glass alcohol bottles over the victim’s head and the victim was knocked unconscious and fell into a fetal position.  The assault continued after the victim had been knocked out and was rendered helpless. 
As a result of the assault, the victim suffered bilateral subdural hematomas that required emergency surgery in Rapid City to release the pressure on his brain.  He also suffered numerous lacerations to his head, multiple bruises and contusions to his face, arms, and body and was hospitalized for 19 days at Rapid City Regional Hospital.
This case was investigated by Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Mikal Hanson prosecuted the case.
Garreau was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service to begin serving his sentence.

Updated June 22, 2015