You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of South Dakota

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Eagle Butte Man Sentenced for Assaulting a Federal Officer and Failure to Register

United States Attorney Ron Parsons announced that an Eagle Butte, South Dakota, man convicted of Assaulting, Resisting, and Impeding a Federal Officer and Failure to Register as a Sex Offender was sentenced on July 23, 2018, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

On the assault conviction, Jasyn Curley, age 23, was sentenced to 9 months in federal prison, and a special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund in the amount of $25. On the failure to register conviction, Curley was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison, 5 years of Supervised Release, and a special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund in the amount of $100.

Curley was indicted by a federal grand jury on February 14, 2018. He pled guilty on May 2, 2018.

In January of 2018, Curley, a person required to register under the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act, and a sex offender by reason of a conviction under federal law, did knowingly fail to register and update his registration.

The assault conviction stemmed from an incident on November 17, 2017, when Curley was arrested for being intoxicated and disorderly. While the officers were placing him in handcuffs, Curley resisted and pulled away from the officers. The officers were able to restrain Curley, and while escorting him to the patrol car, Curley would not walk and refused to get into the back seat of the patrol car. The officers eventually were able to place Curley in the backseat of the patrol car. Upon arrival at the corrections facility, Curley was being escorted into the facility by corrections staff. Curley turned towards the officer who arrested him and spit in his face.

This case was investigated by the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services and the U.S. Marshals Service. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Miller prosecuted the case.

Curley was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Updated July 26, 2018