Skip to main content
Press Release

Eagle Butte Women Sentenced for Assault

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that two Eagle Butte, South Dakota, women convicted of Assault With a Dangerous Weapon and Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury were sentenced on November 7, 2016, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Lisa Lone Eagle, age 36, was sentenced to 63 months in custody.  Kendra Belt a/k/a Kendra Counting, age 41, was sentenced to 37 months in custody.  Both women will be on supervised release for a period of 3 years following their release from custody.  Both were ordered to pay a special assessment of $100 to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.  Restitution was left open for a period of 30 days. 

Lone Eagle and Belt were indicted by a federal grand jury on September 15, 2015, for Assault With Intent to Commit Murder, Assault With a Dangerous Weapon, and Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury.  Lone Eagle pled guilty to Assault With a Dangerous Weapon on August 4, 2016.  Belt pled guilty to Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury on August 8, 2016. 

Lone Eagle and Belt are half-sisters.  Lone Eagle had lived at the victim’s residence for approximately a year and half.  On the evening of September 5, 2015, Lone Eagle was drinking with the victim at his home.  Lone Eagle left for a short time and returned with Belt. Other people were also at the residence.   After Lone Eagle returned, she became angry with the victim.  Lone Eagle pulled down shelves in the living room.  Lone Eagle then punched the victim at least eight (8) times.  Belt joined Lone Eagle in hitting the victim.

The victim ended up on the floor of the living room.  Lone Eagle was wearing cowboy boots and kicked and stomped the victim in the head, face, neck, and upper torso multiple times.  Lone Eagle also hit the victim with the head of a sledgehammer.  Belt also kicked the victim while he was down on the floor, and attempted to strangle the victim.  At some point, the victim lost consciousness. 

At that point, the two women thought the victim was dead.  They attempted to hide the victim’s body in the crawlspace of the residence, but were unable to do so.  At that point they put a blanket over the victim, poured   kerosene on the blanket, and attempted to light the blanket on fire.  They were unsuccessful in setting the blanket on fire. 

The victim regained consciousness, got up, and went and laid down.  Lone Eagle went to where the victim was lying, and hit him five or six more times. The victim was eventually able to get up and escape the residence. He collapsed nearby where he was discovered by a neighbor. 

This case was investigated by the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Miller prosecuted the case.  Lone Eagle and Belt were immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Updated November 15, 2016

Indian Country Law and Justice