Skip to main content
Press Release

Jury Finds Wakpala Man Guilty Of Second Degree Murder, Four Counts Of Sexual Abuse Of A Minor, And Assault Resulting In Serious Bodily Injury

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

United States Attorney Brendan V. Johnson announced that Stoney End Of Horn, age 36, of Wakpala, South Dakota, was convicted of Second Degree Murder, four counts of Sexual Abuse of a Minor, and Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury, following a four-day jury trial in Pierre, South Dakota.  The verdict was returned on September 12, 2014.
These charges carry a maximum penalty of up to life in custody and/or a $250,000 fine.  The jury also found End Of Horn not guilty of one count of Sexual Abuse of a Minor.           
End Of Horn was initially charged in two separate indictments, but the charges were consolidated for trial.  End Of Horn was first indicted by a federal grand jury on June 12, 2013, for one count of Aggravated Sexual Abuse of a Child and five counts of Abusive Sexual Contact of a Minor.  The second indictment was on September 17, 2013, when End of Horn was charged by a federal grand jury for Second Degree Murder and Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury.
The Second Degree Murder and Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury convictions arose out of the same incident, which occurred in September 2008 near Wakpala, when End Of Horn assaulted the victim, which eventually led to her death.  The assault in 2008 caused multiple facial fractures and internal injuries to the victim’s brain.  The surgeon that repaired the victim’s face described the bones as “busted up so bad they were like a bag of potato chips.”  These injuries caused the victim to have a cerebellar infarction on February 9, 2010.  The evidence at trial established that the victim never recovered from the cerebellar infarction and died at Triumph Long-Term Care Hospital in Mandan, North Dakota, on June 25, 2010.
End Of Horn’s Sexual Abuse convictions arose from incidents in 2009 and 2010, when End Of Horn, who had previously been convicted in South Dakota State Court for Possession, Manufacturing, and Distributing Child Pornography, knowingly engaged in and attempted to engage in sexual acts with a minor in Wakpala.
End Of Horn’s cases were investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation, Bureau of Indian Affairs, Standing Rock Agency, National Park Service, and the Mobridge Police Department.  The cases were prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorneys Troy Morley and Mikal Hanson.
A presentence investigation was ordered, and a sentencing date was set for December 8, 2014.
End Of Horn was remanded to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service to await his sentencing.

Updated June 22, 2015