Skip to main content
Press Release

McLaughlin Man Sentenced for Assault with a Dangerous Weapon and Failure to Appear

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a McLaughlin, South Dakota, man convicted of Assault with a Dangerous Weapon and Failure to Appear was sentenced on November 2, 2015, by U.S. District Judge Charles B. Kornmann.

Adam Weasel, age 20, was sentenced to 12 months in custody for Assault with a Dangerous Weapon and 6 months in custody for Failure to Appear, to be served consecutively; followed by 3 years of supervised release on each count, to be served concurrently; and a $200 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.

Weasel was indicted for First Degree Burglary, Assault with a Dangerous Weapon, and Third Degree Burglary by a federal grand jury on June 23, 2014. A Superseding Information was filed on July 28, 2015, charging Weasel with Assault with a Dangerous Weapon and Failure to Appear. He pled guilty to the Superseding Information on August 3, 2015.

The conviction for Assault with a Dangerous Weapon arose from a June 22, 2013, incident at McLaughlin, when Weasel and two co-defendants forcibly entered a residence and assaulted some of the home’s occupants, kicking one of them while he was on the ground. Weasel joined in physical altercations between his co-defendants and several victims. Weasel was indicted for his role in the burglary and assault.

After his initial appearance, he was released on his own personal recognizance subject to various terms and conditions. He was later ordered to appear in federal court on January 30, 2015, to address an alleged bond violation. Weasel failed to appear for the hearing and a warrant was issued for his arrest. Weasel was not arrested on the warrant until April 23, 2015.

This case was investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Standing Rock Agency. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jay Miller prosecuted the case.

Weasel was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Updated November 12, 2015