You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of South Dakota

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Mitchell Man Sentenced for Assaulting a Federal Officer

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a Mitchell, South Dakota, man convicted of two separate counts of Assaulting, Resisting, and Impeding a Federal Officer was sentenced on May 15, 2017, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Corey Johnson, age 31, was sentenced to 33 months in custody on a 2015 case, and 96 months in custody on a separate 2016 case, to be served concurrently, followed by 3 years of supervised release, and a special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund in the amount of $200.

Johnson was indicted by a federal grand jury on October 14, 2015, on his 2015 case, and on December 14, 2016, on his 2016 case. He pled guilty in both cases on February 21, 2017.

The conviction for his 2015 case stems from an incident on September 13, 2015, when Johnson’s mother called the Lower Brule dispatch because Johnson was talking about taking his own life. An officer with the Bureau of Indian Affairs was given the information, and was also advised that Johnson had an active state warrant.

The officer went to Johnson’s girlfriend home in Lower Brule. After confirming Johnson’s identity, the officer told Johnson to turn around and put his hands behind his back as he was going to be detained for state authorities. Johnson did not comply and took off running. The officer gave chase and was able to get ahold of Johnson. The two fell to the ground and wrestled around with Johnson continuing to resist arrest. Johnson was able to get to his feet first and while attempting to flee dragged the officer, causing scrapes to the officer’s arms. Johnson then took off running again, and the officer gave chase but was unable to locate Johnson. An Indictment was obtained and a warrant for his arrest issued.

The conviction from his 2016 case stems from an incident when Johnson was located on November 2, 2016, by two deputies with the U.S. Marshals Service in Lower Brule. The deputies arrived at the home and saw Johnson’s girlfriend in the driver seat of a vehicle and Johnson outside at the back of the vehicle. The deputies exited their vehicle and announced “United States Marshal” and “Federal Warrant”. One of the deputies ordered Johnson to show his hands. Johnson turned, looked at the deputies, and then dove into the middle seat of a Jeep and locked the doors. Johnson was ordered to get out of the vehicle, that they had a warrant and that he was under arrest. Johnson did not comply.

Johnson’s girlfriend was in the driver’s seat and they could see an infant child in a car seat near Johnson. The deputies then saw Johnson clench his fists and hold a weapon to his girlfriend’s neck. Johnson was yelling that he had a knife, that he would harm or kill his girlfriend and for the officers to leave. His girlfriend was seen to be visibly upset, crying and holding her hands up. She was not allowed to leave the vehicle. Johnson was between the small child in the car seat and the driver’s seat.

The deputies continued to order Johnson to get out of the car, but he continued to ignore commands and say he had a knife and would harm his girlfriend. One of the deputies broke out two of the windows of the Jeep. Johnson finally dropped his hands and then opened the door and was taken into custody. A knife was recovered from inside the vehicle.

This case was investigated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, Lower Brule Agency, and the U.S. Marshals Service. Assistant U.S. Attorney Meghan N. Dilges prosecuted the case.

Johnson was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Updated May 17, 2017