Skip to main content
Press Release

Nebraska Man Sentenced for Second Degree Murder

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a Nebraska man convicted of Second Degree Murder was sentenced on May 9, 2016, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Christopher David Edenso, Sr., age 26, was sentenced to 185 months in custody, followed by 3 years of supervised release, and a special assessment of $100 to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.

Edenso was indicted by a federal grand jury on July 14, 2015.  He pled guilty on January 7, 2016.

In the early morning of June 15, 2015, Edenso was at his home with his infant son, in the Sicangu Village, in Todd County, South Dakota.  Edenso’s wife was at work and Edenso was the sole caregiver for the infant. At approximately 5:30 am, the infant awoke and began to cry.  Edenso became angry with the infant’s crying, picked him up by his legs, held him upside down, and shook him violently.  Edenso also grabbed the infant by placing both of his hands around the baby’s waist and forcefully slammed the infant onto the bed at least three times.  The infant became quiet.  Edenso wrapped the infant in a blanket, laid him on the bed, and then fell asleep.

Edenso’s wife returned from work at approximately 8:00 am and found Edenso asleep in the couple’s bed with the infant lying beside him.  The infant had blood coming from his mouth.  Edenso’s wife picked up the infant and he was unresponsive.  His wife became hysterical, woke Edenso up, and called 911.  Edenso and his wife then rushed the infant to the Cherry County Hospital in Valentine, Nebraska.  Medical personnel at Cherry County Hospital attempted to resuscitate the infant; however, the infant was pronounced dead at approximately 8:45 am on June 15, 2015.  An autopsy was performed and revealed the cause of death was due to blunt force trauma to the head.

This case was investigated by the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services and Federal Bureau of Investigation.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Carrie G. Sanderson prosecuted the case.

Edenso was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Updated July 27, 2016

Violent Crime