Skip to main content
Press Release

Rosebud Man Sentenced for Assault with a Dangerous Weapon and Assaulting a Federal Officer

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a Rosebud, South Dakota, man convicted of Assault with a Dangerous Weapon and Assaulting, Resisting, Opposing and Impeding a Federal Officer was sentenced on April 4, 2016, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Eric Joseph Oliver, age 34, was sentenced to 40 months in custody, folllowed by two years of supervised release, and a $200 special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund.

          Oliver was indicted by a federal grand jury on July 14, 2015, for Assault with a Dangerous Weapon, Assault Resulting in Serious Bodily Injury, Assault by Strangulation and Suffocation, and Assaulting, Resisting, Opposing, and Impeding a Federal Officer.  He pled guilty to Assault with a Dangerous Weapon and Assaulting a Federal Officer on January 7, 2016.

          On the evening of May 30, 2015, Oliver and his girlfriend, the victim, were at a home in Rosebud.  An argument ensued between the couple and Oliver would not let the victim leave.  Oliver hit the victim in the face with his hands and stabbed her with a sharp instrument.  The victim sustained two shallow stab wounds; one to the right side of her neck and one to the top of her head.  The victim was able to escape and call Rosebud Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services for assistance.  The victim was transported to the Indian Health Services Hospital in Rosebud to receive medical care.

Two officers responded to the call, and Oliver was non-compliant with them.  Oliver was escorted out of the house and once outside of the home, he kicked one of the officers twice and spat at another officer’s face.  

          This case was investigated by the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services and Federal Bureau of Investigation.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Carrie G. Sanderson prosecuted the case.

          Oliver was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

# # #

Updated April 8, 2016

Violent Crime