Skip to main content
Press Release

St. Francis Man Sentenced for Assaulting a Federal Officer

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota

United States Attorney Randolph J. Seiler announced that a St. Francis, South Dakota, man convicted of Assaulting, Resisting, Opposing, and Impeding a Federal Officer was sentenced on July 19, 2016, by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

James Two Charger, Jr., age 24, was sentenced to 15 months in custody, followed by 2 years of supervised release, and a special assessment to the Federal Crime Victims Fund in the amount of $100.

Two Charger was indicted by a federal grand jury on March 15, 2016.  He pled guilty on April 26, 2016.

The conviction stemmed from an incident on March 1, 2016, when law enforcement was notified of a domestic dispute between Two Charger and his girlfriend.  An officer with the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services (RSTLES) located Two Charger driving a vehicle near St. Francis, and attempted to pull Two Charger’s vehicle over.  Two Charger began driving evasively and fled the area.  A car chase ensued and Two Charger drove at speeds of up to 100 miles per hour.  He eventually lost control of the vehicle on a gravel road and crashed into a ditch.

Two Charger exited the vehicle and ran into a tree belt, where the officer followed on foot.  When the officer attempted to arrest Two Charger, he grabbed for the officer’s gun holster.  The officer was able to deploy pepper spray at Two Charger’s face.  Two Charger then began to punch the officer in the side and abdomen.

Two other officers from RSTLES responded and assisted in arresting Two Charger.  Two Chargers became aggressive with the officers and began yelling and kicking at the officers, spitting at one of the officers’ face.  The officers transported Two Charger to the Adult Correctional Facility in Rosebud.

This case was investigated by the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services.  Assistant U.S. Attorney Carrie G. Sanderson prosecuted the case.

Two Charger was immediately turned over to the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service.

Updated July 22, 2016

Indian Country Law and Justice