Due to the lapse in appropriations, Department of Justice websites will not be regularly updated. The Department’s essential law enforcement and national security functions will continue. Please refer to the Department of Justice’s contingency plan for more information.

You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
District of South Dakota

Thursday, April 4, 2013

St. Francis Man Sentenced For Controlled Substance Charge And For Failure To Appear

United States Attorney Brendan V. Johnson announced that a St. Francis, South Dakota man convicted of Simple Possession of a Controlled Substance and for Failure to Appear, charged in two separate criminal cases, was sentenced on April 2, 2013 by U.S. District Judge Roberto A. Lange.

Antoine Kills In Water, age 30, was sentenced to 6 months in custody, a $1,000 fine, and a $25 special assessment to the Victim Assistance Fund for the Simple Possession of a Controlled Substance conviction. He was also sentenced to 6 months and 1 day in custody, 1 year supervised release, and a $100 special assessment to the Victim Assistance Fund for the Failure to Appear conviction.

For the Controlled Substance charge, Kills In Water was indicted by a federal grand jury on July 18, 2012 and pled guilty to the charge on January 10, 2013. For the Failure to Appear charge, he was indicted on December 11, 2012 and pled guilty on January 10, 2013.

The Controlled Substance conviction stems from an incident that took place between April 29, 2011 and May 11, 2011, when Kills In Water used and possessed methamphetamine and marijuana. The Failure to Appear conviction is the result of his not appearing at his jury trial for the drug case.

The Controlled Substance investigation was conducted by the Northern Plains Safe Trails Drug Enforcement Task Force and the Rosebud Sioux Tribe Law Enforcement Services. The Failure to Appear investigation was conducted by the U.S. Marshal’s Service.Both cases were prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Timothy M. Maher.

Kills In Water was remanded to the custody of the U.S. Marshal.

Updated June 22, 2015