Skip to main content
Press Release

Houston Man Sentenced For Aggravated Bank Robbery

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Texas

HOUSTON - Anthony Michael Shaffer, 30, has been ordered to federal prison following his convictions of bank robbery and brandishing a weapon during the course of the bank robbery, announced U.S. Attorney Kenneth Magidson. A jury found Shaffer guilty Oct. 15, 2014, following two days of trial and less than an hour of deliberation.

Today, U.S. District Judge Ewing Werlein Jr., who presided over the trial, handed Shaffer a sentence of 78 months for the bank robbery and a consecutive 84 months for the firearms offense for a total 162-month sentence. Shaffer was also ordered to pay restitution and a $1,000 fine and must serve a five-year-term of supervised release following completion of the prison term. In handing down the sentence, the court considered written statements submitted by the victim and upwardly departed from the U.S. Sentencing Guidelines, specifically noting that he was concerned Shaffer had committed these crimes only a short time after serving a 10-year sentence in state court also for aggravated bank robbery. 

At trial, evidence proved Shaffer robbed the Woodforest National Bank inside a Pearland Walmart on Dec. 11, 2013. Two bank tellers testified Shaffer entered the bank alone, approached a teller and filled out a note demanding “loose billz.” The tellers also testified Shaffer used and brandished a 9 MM Smith and Wesson pistol during the course of the robbery. 

Other witnesses also testified and identified Shaffer as the robber.

Law enforcement officers were able to obtain video footage of the robbery from both Walmart and Woodforest National Bank and testified that Shaffer’s fingerprints were also found on the demand note.

Shaffer will remain in custody pending transfer to a U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility to be determined in the near future.

The investigation was conducted by the FBI, Pearland Police Department and Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office. Assistant U.S. Attorneys Julie Searle and Douglas Davis prosecuted the case. 

Updated April 30, 2015