Skip to main content
Press Release

Long Time Fugitive Ordered To Federal Prison

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Southern District of Texas

McALLEN, Texas – Alexis Estevez-Alvarez, 46, of Havana, Cuba, has been sentenced to prison following his convictions of possession with intent to distribute marijuana and failure to appear, United States Attorney Kenneth Magidson announced today. Estevez-Alvarez was convicted July 9, 2013, following less than two days of trial and approximately 30 minutes of deliberation. 

Today, U.S. District Judge Randy Crane, who presided over the trial, handed Estevez-Alvarez sentences of 110 and 20 months, respectively, for the drug and failure to appear convictions to be served consecutively for a total sentence of 130 months in federal prison.

Estevez-Alvarez was originally charged in 2003, permitted release on bond and set for trial Oct. 3, 2003, before Judge Crane. Estevez-Alvarez failed to appear for court and was subsequently indicted on that charge as well.

He remained a fugitive for almost 10 years until apprehended on Oct. 29, 2012. On that date, Alvarez-Estevez was discovered in the bed of a Ford F-150 restrained and inebriated at the Progreso Port-of-Entry after someone had crossed him into the United States and then fled back to Mexico.

The original case began on June 20, 2003, when two former deputies with the Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office approached a residence in Mercedes seeking consent to search the residence. According to evidence and testimony at trial, deputies then found 42 bundles of marijuana totaling 671 kilograms in a shed next to a pre-fabricated house on the property. Estevez-Alvarez stated he lived on the property with his wife along with another friend for approximately four months.  

The government proved at trial that while a fugitive for 10 years, Estevez-Alvarez has been able to work and live in both Weslaco and Nuevo Progreso, Tamaulipas, Mexico, as well as maintain a relationship with his now ex-wife. 

The defense contended that unknown individuals had “control” of Estevez-Alvarez that prevented him from showing up to court in 2003 and that it was fear of retribution from these individuals that kept him from court over the past decade.

The jury disagreed and found him guilty on both counts as charged.

Estevez-Alvarez will remain in custody pending transfer to a U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility to be determined in the near future.

The investigation was conducted by the Hidalgo County Sheriff’s Office and Homeland Security Investigations. Assistant United States Attorney Juan F. Alanis is prosecuting the case.

Updated April 30, 2015