Man in Walker County sentenced for cyberstalking via social media
HOUSTON – A 25-year-old Huntsville resident has been ordered to federal prison for receiving child pornography as well as multiple counts of cyberstalking, announced U.S. Attorney Alamdar S. Hamdani.
Kody Nicholas Bohac pleaded guilty Dec. 12, 2022.
Today, U.S. District Judge Andrew S. Hanen sentenced Bohac to a total 121-month term of imprisonment. Bohac was further ordered to pay $5,170 in restitution to a known victim and will serve 10 years on supervised release following completion of his prison term. During that time, he will have to comply with numerous requirements designed to restrict his access to children and the internet. Bohac will also be ordered to register as a sex offender.
At the hearing, the court also considered additional information including multiple victim impact statements detailing how Bohac’s conduct affected them. Portions of the statements included how Bohac even went so far as to threaten to rape and murder them if they didn’t comply with his demands. As a result of Bohac’s conduct, many victims suffer from anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, humiliation, ruined relationships, fear and have sought counseling.
The court also heard how sextortion cases are an increasingly deadly type of crime that target young people. The perpetrators use several online mediums of communication, including social networking apps, messaging apps, video voice calls, email, dating and gaming apps. Victims often feel helpless, ashamed, guilty and embarrassed and are reluctant to report such conduct to law enforcement.
“Bohac used social media accounts, smart phones and laptops as weapons to terrorize and humiliate young women, all for his sick amusement. Sextortion is ruining young people’s lives at an alarming rate, pushing some to suicide; deaths that are wholly preventable and completely tragic,” said Hamdani. “As the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Texas, I, and the prosecutors in this office, are committed to bringing people like Bohac out of the shadows of internet platforms into justice’s bright light. And as a father, I’m thankful one more monster is off our streets.”
“This is your typical sextortion case,” said Acting Special Agent in Charge David Martinez of the FBI Houston field office. “The individual behind this cyberstalking case took advantage of his young victims by tricking them into sending him compromising content of themselves. He then took pleasure in terrorizing them and shaming them personally. Unfortunately, we’re seeing more and more of these types of cases and too many victims of sextortion who succumb to the shame and take their own lives.”
Bohac stalked an out-of-state woman over social media and threatened to post nude photographs of her on the internet if she did not contact him. She did not respond. Subsequently, Bohac posted the images on the internet.
At the plea hearing, Bohac admitted to the stalking through social media and sending her nude images of herself and threatening to make them public if she did not contact him. He also said he offered to pay multiple females online for nude photos. When they complied, he refused to pay, demanded additional nude photos and threatened to post them online if they did not contact him.
He ultimately admitted to stalking approximately 20 females on social media, demanding they send additional nude photos, wanting to meet them in person and to call him “daddy.” When they refused, he posted the already obtained nude photos online, threatened to ruin their lives, sent photos to their school, families and friends and created fake online accounts using their names with sexually explicit references.
The investigation revealed multiple social media messages on his phone in which Bohac stalked numerous victims. They also found images and videos of child pornography on his cell phone which depicted minor females engaged in sexual acts on adult males.
Bohac will remain in custody pending transfer to a U.S. Bureau of Prisons facility to be determined in the near future.
The FBI-Bryan Resident Agency and the FBI-Philadelphia Field Office conducted the investigation with assistance from the Sam Houston State University Police Department.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Richard W. Bennett prosecuted this case, which was brought as part of Project Safe Childhood, a nationwide initiative launched in May 2006 by the Department of Justice to combat the growing epidemic of child sexual exploitation and abuse. Led by the United States Attorneys' Offices and the Criminal Division's Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section, Project Safe Childhood marshals federal, state and local resources to locate, apprehend and prosecute individuals who sexually exploit children, and to identify and rescue victims. For more information about Project Safe Childhood, please visit www.usdoj.gov/psc. For more information about internet safety education, please visit www.usdoj.gov/psc and click on the tab “resources.”