You are here

Justice News

Department of Justice
U.S. Attorney’s Office
Western District of Kentucky

Monday, August 4, 2014

Jefferson County, Kentucky, Man Sentenced To 70 Months In Prison And Ordered To Pay Restitution For Multiple Bank Robberies

– Tellers feared for their lives as defendant claimed to have a bomb
– Also sentenced today, to serve 6 months in a separate, federal fraud case

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – A Louisville man was sentenced today, by U.S. District Judge Joseph H. McKinley Jr., to serve 70 months in prison for the robbery of four banks located in Jefferson County, Kentucky, during a two week period, and ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $11,960 announced David J. Hale, United States Attorney for the Western District of Kentucky.

Robert Scott Manley, age 51, admitted to using force, violence, and intimidation when he robbed four banks in Jefferson County between December 20, 2012 and December 31, 2012. According to information presented in court, Manley threatened bank employees by stating he had a bomb and threatened to detonate the bomb. On January 14, 2014, Manley pleaded guilty to taking $2,170.00 from the PNC Bank, located at 3910 Taylorsville Road, on December 20, 2012; taking approximately $3,580.00 from the Chase Bank, located at 8120 New LaGrange Road, on December 24, 2012; to taking approximately $1,510.00 from the BB&T Bank, located at 10403 Dixie Highway on December 27, 2012; and to taking approximately $4,750.00 from the River City Bank, located at 2501 Bardstown Road. At the time of the robberies, all deposits were insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).

Further, Manley was sentenced to serve 6 months consecutively to the 70 month sentence for failure to comply with the terms of his supervised release in a separate, federal fraud case.

If convicted at trial, Manley faced a sentence of no more than 80 years in federal prison, a fine of $1,000,000., and a period of no more than five years of supervised release. Manley was arrested by U.S. Marshals on January 2, 2013, in Louisville.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Randy Ream with assistance from Special Attorney Sungtae Kang, and was investigated by Louisville Metro Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Updated December 15, 2014