Louisville Convicted Felon Sentenced To 25 Years In Prison For Armed Robbery Of A Convenience Store
– First defendant sentenced in prosecution resulting from "Project Recoil"
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – David J. Hale, United States Attorney for the Western District of Kentucky announced the sentencing today of a Louisville man to 25 years in prison followed by a period of three years supervised release, for the armed robbery of a Louisville convenience store and discharging a firearm during the course of the robbery. The federal prosecution stems from “Project Recoil,” the ongoing partnership of multiple law enforcement agencies, developed by U.S. Attorney Hale, Jefferson County Commonwealth’s Attorney Tom Wine, Jefferson County Attorney Mike O’Connell, LMPD Chief Steve Conrad, ATF Special Agent in Charge Stuart Lowrey, FBI Special Agent in Charge Perrye Turner, and U. S. Marshal James Clark, to maximize penalties for the most violent repeat offenders, and to reduce violent crime in our community.
Since the announcement of Project Recoil, in July 2013, the U.S. Attorney’s Office has brought federal charges against ten defendants connected to the armed robberies of 27 metro Louisville businesses. Numerous additional defendants have been charged in Jefferson Circuit Court.
“Convicted felons who commit violent gun crimes in Jefferson County will face a collaborative and determined law enforcement effort. I’m proud of the efforts of the dedicated police officers, federal agents, state and county prosecutors, and federal prosecutors working together on Project Recoil. Our community benefits from this effective collaboration,” stated U.S. Attorney Hale.
“The partnership of local, state and federal law enforcement through Project Recoil has not only led to ten defendants being indicted in federal court, but to numerous gun and violent crimes being discussed by multiple agencies on a weekly basis. These open lines of communication have led to over a thousand guns being seized in the last year and over one hundred cases involving defendants with serious records and pending gun charges to be discussed, indicted and swiftly prosecuted in state court,” stated Thomas Wine, Commonwealth’s Attorney.
“This conviction sends a very strong message that federal, state and local law enforcement agencies are working together to make Louisville a safer community. Anyone contemplating a gun-related crime should realize the possible consequences,” stated Louisville Metro Police Chief Steve Conrad.
“This conviction and sentence should send a very clear message -- violent gun crimes and the illegal possession, use or trafficking of firearms will not be tolerated. Together, we are aggressively investigating and prosecuting these armed predators to make our community safer,” said ATF Special Agent in Charge Stuart Lowrey.
“Project Recoil is an excellent example of law enforcement’s commitment to cooperation and collaboration, the most effective weapon against crime,” said Perrye K. Turner, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI in Kentucky.
Dorris Trice III, age 32, was sentenced on Thursday by Senior U.S. District Judge Charles R. Simpson III, after pleading guilty to a three-count federal indictment. Trice was previously convicted of state charges in Jefferson Circuit Court, including second degree burglary on October 26, 2000, second degree escape on June 10, 2002, and third degree burglary on October 20, 2010. In U.S. District Court, Trice admitted that on March 3, 2013, he possessed and fired a Charter Arms Undercover.38 Special during the robbery of the Park Food Mart, located at North 19th Street in Louisville. The federal robbery charge was brought pursuant to the Hobbs Act, which criminalizes robberies that affect interstate commerce.
This case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys Randy Ream and Amanda E. Gregory, and was investigated by the Louisville Metro Police Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).