Skip to main content
Press Release

Louisville Convicted Felon Sentenced To 84 Months In Prison For Impersonating An Officer And Unlawful Transport Of Firearms

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of Kentucky

Possessed a fake badge and several firearms when arrested

LOUISVILLE, Ky. – A Louisville convicted felon was sentenced in United States District Court today, by District Court Judge David J. Hale, to seven years in prison for impersonating an officer, on more than one occasion, and for unlawfully transporting firearms, announced United States Attorney John E. Kuhn, Jr.

“Connard impersonated a federal officer to accost, then assault people,” stated U.S. Attorney John Kuhn.  “This false assertion of police power is exceedingly dangerous and creates a risk of undermining the good work of legitimate law enforcement.  We are pleased the Court has dealt with this serious crime sternly and appropriately.” 

Michael A. Connard, 28, was charged in a three-count federal grand jury indictment on November 11, 2015. He pleaded guilty to the charges on August 8, 2016 and has remained in federal custody.

According to the plea agreement, Connard admitted that on two separate occasions, on June 22, 2015, in Metro Louisville, he impersonated a police officer and on one occasion referred to himself as a “Federal Agent.”  Further, Connard admitted that on both occasions he unlawfully possessed a firearm while being a convicted felon.

Connard, along with a second man, not charged in the federal Indictment, approached D.J. and ordered him out of his car near Hancock and East Gray Streets in Louisville. Connard was dressed in outwardly visible body armor, displayed a badge on a chain hanging from his neck, and identified himself as “police.” Connard brandished a firearm and struck D.J. causing a bruise on his forehead. Later in the same day, Connard repeated the activity with another victim, J.S., and in this instance, identified himself as a “Federal Agent.” Connard forced J.S. from his vehicle in the 500 block of South Clay Street in Louisville and in doing so, brandished a firearm and struck J.S. in the forehead.

Louisville Metro Police Officers were alerted to these activities and arrested Connard in the 800 block of East Chestnut Street. Officers found the defendant armed with a Taurus PT 24/7, 40 caliber handgun and a Kel-Tec, .380 and a fake badge that was carried by Connard.

In addition to the firearms which were in Connard’s possession at the time of his arrest, Connard possessed three additional firearms at his home including a .38 caliber snub nose revolver, a Bushmaster AR-15 type assault rifle, and a Savage Arms, Model 320, 12 gauge shotgun.

Further, Connard was a two time convicted felon. In 2006, he was convicted in Christian County Circuit Court of Burglary I and Possession of Burglary tools. Later in 2008, Connard was convicted in a separate case of Burglary II. Connard has pending charges in Jefferson County Circuit related to a similar incident on June 2, 2015.

This case was prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney Randy R. Ream and was investigated by Louisville Metro Police and the with assistance from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

Updated November 10, 2016

Firearms Offenses