Skip to main content
Press Release

Franklinville Man Sentenced On Gun Charge; Violating Supervised Release

For Immediate Release
U.S. Attorney's Office, Western District of New York

CONTACT:      Barbara Burns
PHONE:         (716) 843-5817
FAX:            (716) 551-3051

BUFFALO, N.Y.—U.S. Attorney William J. Hochul, Jr. announced today that Salvatore Faliero, 53, of Franklinville, NY, who was convicted of being a felon in possession of a firearm, was sentenced to 12 months in prison by Senior U.S. District Judge William M. Skretny. In addition, the defendant was sentenced to 15 months in prison (to be served concurrently to the 12 month sentence on the gun charge), for violation of supervised release. Faliero was on federal supervised release following a 2009 conviction of accessory after the fact when he was arrested on the gun charge.

According to Assistant U.S. Attorneys Michael J. Adler and Thomas S. Duszkiewiz, who handled the case, on November 29, 2015, New York State Troopers began investigating a complaint that the defendant was shooting a firearm from his vehicle.

• One witness stated that Faliero admitted to him that he had shot a gun.
• Another witness stated that on December 1, 2015, he saw the defendant put a gun into his vehicle.
• On December 3, 2015, troopers received another report of the defendant using a firearm.

Soon after this third complaint, troopers observed the defendant driving his red Honda CRV and stopped the vehicle. Troopers discovered a loaded Marlin, Model 336W, 30-30 caliber lever action rifle on the back seat of the vehicle. Ammunition for the firearm was found on the center console. Faliero admitted that he had been using the rifle.

In September 1985, the defendant was convicted in state court of Attempted Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance. In October 1998, Faliero was convicted in Cattaraugus County Court of Attempted Burglary followed by his 2009 federal conviction.  As a result, the defendant is prohibited from legally possessing a firearm.

The sentencing is the culmination of an investigation by the New York State Police, under the direction of Major Steven Nigrelli and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, under the direction of Special Agent in Charge Ashan M. Benedict.

Updated October 31, 2016