|This document is available in two formats: this web page (for browsing content) and PDF (comparable to original document formatting). To view the PDF you will need Acrobat Reader, which may be downloaded from the Adobe site. For an official signed copy, please contact the Antitrust Documents Group.|
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLIANCE WITH PROVISIONS
OF THE ANTITRUST PROCEDURES AND PENALTIES ACT
Plaintiff, United States of America, by the undersigned attorney, hereby certifies that, in compliance with the Antitrust Procedures and Penalties Act, 15 U.S.C. § 16 (b) - (h), the following procedures have been followed in preparation for the entry of a final judgment herein:
1. Plaintiff and defendants stipulated to the entry of the proposed Final Judgment on March 23, 1999, and this Stipulation was filed with the Court on March 23, 1999;
2. The proposed Final Judgment was filed with the Court on March 23, 1999;
3. The Competitive Impact Statement was filed with the Court on April 16, 1999;
4. The Stipulation, proposed Final Judgment, and Competitive Impact Statement were published in the Federal Register on April 29, 1995, Volume 64, No. 82, at pages 23099 - 23114;(1)
5. Copies of the Stipulation, proposed Final Judgment, and Competitive Impact Statement were furnished to all persons requesting them;
6. A summary of terms of the proposed Final Judgment was published in the Washington Post, a newspaper of general circulation in the District of Columbia, beginning on April 22, 1999 and continuing on consecutive days through April 28, 1999;(2)
7. On or about April 6, 1999, defendants SBC Communications Inc. and Ameritech Corporation each filed with the Court a description of written or oral communications by or on behalf of the defendants, or any other person, with any officer or employee of the United States concerning the proposed Final Judgment, as required by 15 U.S.C. § 16(g);
8. The sixty-day comment period prescribed by 15 U.S.C. §16(b) and (d) for the receipt and consideration of written comments, during which the proposed Final Judgment could not be entered, commenced on April 29, 1999 and ended on June 28, 1999;
9. As of the date of this certificate of compliance, the United States has received no comments on the proposed Final Judgment. Accordingly, it was not necessary for the United States to file any Response of the United States to Comments with the Court, or to publish any comments or Response in the Federal Register, pursuant to 15 U.S.C. §16(d).
10. The parties have now satisfied all the requirements of the Antitrust Procedures and Penalties Act, 15 U.S.C. § 16 (b) - (h), as a condition for entering the proposed Final Judgment, and it is now appropriate for the Court to make the public interest determination required by 15 U.S.C. § 16(e) and to enter the Final Judgment.
Dated: July 7, 1999
CERTIFICATE OF SERVICE
I hereby certify that copies of the foregoing Certificate of Compliance were served by hand and/or first-class U.S. mail, postage prepaid, this 7th day of July, 1999 upon each of the parties listed below, who are counsel for defendants SBC Communications Inc. or Ameritech Corporation in the matter of United States of America v. SBC Communications Inc., No. 99-0715 (D.D.C.):
1. A copy of this Federal Register notice and publication is attached as Exhibit A.
2. A copy of the newspaper notice and certificate of publication are attached as Exhibit B.