FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
SAN FRANCISCO DIVISION
The Grand Jury charges that:
1. The following individual is hereby indicted and made a defendant on the charge stated below: WEN JUN CHENG, a.k.a. TONY CHENG.
2. Beginning at least as early as January 1997, until at least as late as March 2006, the exact dates being unknown to the Grand Jury, coconspirators of the defendant joined, entered into, and engaged in a combination and conspiracy to suppress and eliminate competition by fixing prices, reducing output, and allocating market shares of color display tubes ("CDTs") to be sold in the United States and elsewhere. The combination and conspiracy engaged in by the defendant and coconspirators was in unreasonable restraint of interstate and foreign trade and commerce in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act (15 U.S.C. § 1).
3. Defendant WEN JUN CHENG joined and participated in the conspiracy from at least as early as January 1999 and continuing until at least September 2004.
4. The charged combination and conspiracy consisted of a continuing agreement, understanding, and concert of action among the defendant and coconspirators, the substantial terms of which were to agree to fix prices, reduce output, and allocate market shares of CDTs to be sold in the United States and elsewhere for use in computer monitors and other products with similar technological requirements.
MEANS AND METHODS OF THE CONSPIRACY
5. For the purpose of forming and carrying out the charged combination and conspiracy, the defendant and coconspirators did those things that they combined and conspired to do, including, among other things:
6. Defendant WEN JUN CHENG is a resident of Taiwan, Republic of China. From at least as early as January 1999 and continuing until at least September 2004, WEN JUN CHENG was employed by Company A and, beginning in March 2002, was Assistant Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Company A. During the period covered by this Indictment, Company A was a Taiwanese company engaged in the business of producing and selling, among other things, CDTs to customers in the United States and elsewhere.
7. Various corporations and individuals not made defendants in this Indictment participated as coconspirators in the offense charged in this Indictment and performed acts and made statements in furtherance of it.
8. Whenever in this Indictment reference is made to any act, deed, or transaction of any corporation, the allegation means that the corporation engaged in the act, deed, or transaction by or through its officers, directors, employees, agents, or other representatives while they were actively engaged in the management, direction, control, or transaction of its business or affairs.
9. CDTs are a type of cathode ray tube. Cathode ray tubes consist of evacuated glass envelopes that contain an electron gun and a phosphorescent screen. When electrons strike the screen, light is emitted, creating an image on the screen. CDTs are the specialized cathode ray tubes manufactured for use in computer monitors and other products with similar technological requirements.
10. During the period covered by this Indictment, Company A and coconspirators sold and distributed substantial quantities of CDTs in a continuous and uninterrupted flow of interstate and foreign trade and commerce to customers located in states or countries other than the states or countries in which Company A and coconspirators produced CDTs. In addition, payments for CDTs traveled in interstate and foreign trade and commerce.
11. During the period covered by this Indictment, the business activities of the defendant and coconspirators related to the sale and distribution of CDTs that are the subject of this Indictment were within the flow of, and substantially affected, interstate and foreign trade and commerce.
12. The combination and conspiracy charged in this Indictment was carried out, in part, in the Northern District of California, within the five years preceding the filing of this Indictment.
ALL IN VIOLATION OF TITLE 15, UNITED STATES CODE, SECTION 1.