NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
SAN FRANCISCO DIVISION
The United States of America, acting through its attorneys, charges:
DESCRIPTION OF THE OFFENSE
1. EPSON IMAGING DEVICES CORPORATION ("defendant") is made a defendant on the charge stated below.
2. From in or about the fall of 2005 to in or about the middle of 2006, defendant and its coconspirators entered into and engaged in a combination and conspiracy in the United States and elsewhere to suppress and eliminate competition by fixing the prices of thin-film transistor liquid crystal display panels ("TFT-LCD") sold to Motorola Inc. ("Motorola") for use in Razr mobile phones. The combination and conspiracy engaged in by the defendant and its coconspirators was in unreasonable restraint of interstate and foreign trade and commerce in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act (15 U.S.C. § 1).
3. The charged combination and conspiracy consisted of a continuing agreement, understanding, and concert of action among the defendant and its coconspirators, the substantial terms of which were to agree to fix the prices of TFT-LCD to be sold to Motorola for use in Razr mobile phones.
4. For the purpose of forming and carrying out the charged combination and conspiracy, the defendant and its coconspirators did those things that they combined and conspired to do, including, among other things:
5. EPSON IMAGING DEVICES CORPORATION is a corporation organized and existing under the laws of Japan. During the period covered by this Information, Sanyo Epson Imaging Devices Corporation, a joint venture between Seiko Epson Corporation and Sanyo Electric Co., Ltd. and a corporation organized and existing under the laws of Japan, engaged in the business of producing and selling TFT-LCD to customers in the United States and elsewhere. Effective December 28, 2006, Sanyo Epson Imaging Devices Corporation became a wholly owned subsidiary of Seiko Epson Corporation and changed its name to EPSON IMAGING DEVICES CORPORATION.
6. Various corporations and individuals, not made defendants in this Information, participated as coconspirators in the offense charged in this Information and performed acts and made statements in furtherance of it.
7. Whenever in this Information reference is made to any act, deed, or transaction of any corporation, the allegation means that the corporation engaged in the act, deed, or transaction by or through its officers, directors, employees, agents, or other representatives while they were actively engaged in the management, direction, control, or transaction of its business or affairs.
TRADE AND COMMERCE
8. TFT-LCD are glass panels composed of an array of tiny pixels that are electronically manipulated to display images. TFT-LCD are manufactured in a broad range of sizes and specifications for use in televisions, notebook computers, desktop monitors, mobile devices, and other applications.
9. During the period covered by this Information, the defendant and its coconspirators sold and distributed TFT-LCD in a continuous and uninterrupted flow of interstate and foreign trade and commerce to customers located in states or countries other than the states or countries in which the defendant and its coconspirators produced TFT-LCD.
10. The business activities of the defendant and its coconspirators that are the subject of this Information were within the flow of, and substantially affected, interstate and foreign trade and commerce.
11. The combination and conspiracy charged in this Information was carried out, in part, in the Northern District of California, within the five years preceding the filing of this Information.
ALL IN VIOLATION OF TITLE 15, UNITED STATES CODE, SECTION 1.