|This document is available in two formats: this web page (for browsing content) and PDF (comparable to original document formatting). To view the PDF you will need Acrobat Reader, which may be downloaded from the Adobe site. For an official signed copy, please contact the Antitrust Documents Group.|
IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
The United States of America, acting through its attorneys, charges:I
DESCRIPTION OF THE OFFENSE
1. John L. "Pete" Fischer is hereby made a defendant on the charge stated below.
2. Beginning at least as early as January 1988 and continuing until at least September 29, 1998, the exact dates being unknown to the United States, the defendant and co-conspirators entered into and participated in a combination and conspiracy to suppress and eliminate competition by fixing the price of, allocating customers for, and the volume of, choline chloride sold in the United States and elsewhere. The defendant joined the conspiracy at least as early as January 1990. The combination and conspiracy engaged in by the defendant and co-conspirators was in unreasonable restraint of interstate and foreign trade and commerce in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act (15 U.S.C. § 1).
3. The charged combination and conspiracy consisted of a continuing agreement, understanding, and concert of action among the defendant and co-conspirators, the substantial terms of which were:
4. For the purpose of forming and carrying out the charged combination and conspiracy, the defendant and co-conspirators did those things that they combined and conspired to do, including, among other things:
5. Choline chloride is a vitamin of the B-complex group. Choline chloride, or vitamin B4, is sold by manufacturers and resellers to customers in the animal nutrition industry. Choline chloride is an ingredient necessary for the proper growth and development of animals.III
DEFENDANT AND CO-CONSPIRATORS
6. During this period the defendant was employed initially as Manager, then as Vice President and subsequently, beginning in January 1996, as the President, Basic Products and International Division for DuCoa, L.P., a United States joint venture between DuPont de Nemours and Company (DuPont), a United States corporation with its principal place of business in Wilmington, Delaware, and ConAgra, Inc., a United States corporation with its principal place of business in Omaha, Nebraska. DuCoa, L.P.'s principal place of business is in Highland, Illinios. DuCoa, L.P. manufactures choline chloride in Highland, Illinois and is engaged in the sale of choline chloride throughout the United States and elsewhere.
7. Various corporations and individuals not made defendants herein participated as co-conspirators in the offense charged herein and performed acts and made statements in furtherance thereof.
8. Wherever in this Information reference is made to any act, deed, or transaction of a corporation, the allegation means that the corporation engaged in the act, deed, or transaction by or through its officers, directors, agents, employees, or representatives while they were actively engaged in the management, direction, control, or transaction of its business or affairs.
TRADE AND COMMERCE
9. During the period covered by this Information, the defendant and co-conspirators sold and distributed a substantial quantity of choline chloride in a continuous and uninterrupted flow of interstate and foreign trade and commerce to customers located in states or countries other than the states or countries in which the choline chloride was produced.
10. During the period covered by this Information, the activities of the defendant and co-conspirators thatare the subject of this Information were within the flow of, and substantially affected, interstate and foreign trade and commerce.V
JURISDICTION AND VENUE
11. The combination and conspiracy charged in this Information was carried out, in part, within the Northern District of Texas within the five years preceding the filing of this Information.
ALL IN VIOLATION OF TITLE 15, UNITED STATES CODE, SECTION 1.