|This document is available in two formats: this web page (for browsing content) and PDF (comparable to original document formatting). To view the PDF you will need Acrobat Reader, which may be downloaded from the Adobe site. For an official signed copy, please contact the Antitrust Documents Group.|
NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
SAN FRANCISCO DIVISION
The United States of America, acting through its attorneys, charges:I. DESCRIPTION OF THE OFFENSE
1. HANNSTAR DISPLAY CORPORATION ("defendant") is made the defendant on the charge stated below.
2. From on or about September 14, 2001 to on or about January 31, 2006, the defendant and its coconspirators entered into and engaged in a combination and conspiracy in the United States and elsewhere to suppress and eliminate competition by fixing the prices of thin-film transistor liquid crystal display panels ("TFT-LCD"). The combination and conspiracy
engaged in by the defendant and its coconspirators was in unreasonable restraint of interstate and foreign trade and commerce in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act (15 U.S.C. § 1).
3. The charged combination and conspiracy consisted of a continuing agreement, understanding, and concert of action among the defendant and its coconspirators, the substantial terms of which were to agree to fix the prices of TFT-LCD.
4. For the purpose of forming and carrying out the charged combination and conspiracy, the defendant and its coconspirators did those things that they combined and conspired to do, including, among other things:
(a) participating in meetings, conversations, and communications in Taiwan, Korea, and the United States to discuss the prices of TFT-LCD;
(b) agreeing, during those meetings, conversations, and communications, to charge prices of TFT-LCD at certain predetermined levels;
(c) issuing price quotations in accordance with the agreements reached; and
(d) exchanging information on sales of TFT-LCD, for the purpose of monitoring and enforcing adherence to the agreed-upon prices.II. DEFENDANTS AND COCONSPIRATORS
5. HANNSTAR DISPLAY CORPORATION is a corporation organized and existing under the laws of Taiwan. During the period covered by this Information, HANNSTAR DISPLAY CORPORATION engaged in the business of producing and selling TFT-LCD to customers in the United States and elsewhere.
6. Various corporations and individuals, not made defendants in this Information, participated as coconspirators in the offense charged in this Information and performed acts and made statements in furtherance of it.
7. Whenever in this Information reference is made to any act, deed, or transaction of any corporation, the allegation means that the corporation engaged in the act, deed, or transaction by or through its officers, directors, employees, agents, or other representatives while they were actively engaged in the management, direction, control, or transaction of its business or affairs.
III.TRADE AND COMMERCE
8. TFT-LCD are glass panels composed of an array of tiny pixels that are electronically manipulated in order to display images. TFT-LCD are manufactured in a broad range of sizes and specifications for use in televisions, notebook computers, desktop monitors, mobile devices, and other applications.
9. During the period covered by this Information, the defendant and its coconspirators sold and distributed TFT-LCD in a continuous and uninterrupted flow of interstate and foreign trade and commerce to customers located in states or countries other than the states or countries in which the defendant and its coconspirators produced TFT-LCD.
10. The business activities of the defendant and its coconspirators that are the subject of this Information were within the flow of, and substantially affected, interstate and foreign trade and commerce.IV. JURISDICTION AND VENUE
11. The combination and conspiracy charged in this Information was carried out, in part, in the Northern District of California, within the five years preceding the filing of this Information.
ALL IN VIOLATION OF TITLE 15, UNITED STATES CODE, SECTION 1.