|This document is available in three formats: this web page (for browsing content), PDF (comparable to original document formatting), and WordPerfect. To view the PDF you will need Acrobat Reader, which may be downloaded from the Adobe site. For an official signed copy, please contact the Antitrust Documents Group.|
| NIALL E. LYNCH (State Bar No. 157959)|
RICHARD B. COHEN (State Bar No. 79601)
EUGENE S. LITVINOFF (State Bar No. 214318)
NATHANAEL M. COUSINS (State Bar No. 177944)
U.S. Department of Justice
450 Golden Gate Avenue
Box 36046, Room 10-0101
San Francisco, CA 94102
Telephone: (415) 436-6660
Attorneys for the United StatesUNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
NORTHERN DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA
The United States of America, acting through its attorneys, charges:I.
DESCRIPTION OF THE OFFENSE
1. INFINEON TECHNOLOGIES AG ("INFINEON") is made a defendant on the charge stated below.
2. From on or about July 1, 1999 until on or about June 15, 2002, defendant INFINEON and its coconspirators, entered into and engaged in a combination and conspiracy in the United States and elsewhere to suppress and eliminate competition by fixing the prices of Dynamic Random Access Memory ("DRAM") to be sold to certain original equipment manufacturers of personal computers and servers ("OEMs"). The combination and conspiracy engaged in by the defendant and its coconspirators was in unreasonable restraint of interstate and foreign trade and commerce in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act (15 U.S.C. § 1).
3. The charged combination and conspiracy consisted of a continuing agreement, understanding, and concert of action among the defendant and its coconspirators, the substantial terms of which were to agree to fix the prices for DRAM to be sold to certain OEMs.
4. For the purpose of forming and carrying out the charged combination and conspiracy, the defendant and its coconspirators did those things that they combined and conspired to do, including, among other things:
DEFENDANT AND COCONSPIRATORS
5. INFINEON is a corporation organized and existing under the laws of the Federal Republic of Germany. During the period covered by this Information, INFINEON was engaged in the business of producing and, through INFINEON's subsidiaries, including INFINEON TECHNOLOGIES NORTH AMERICA, selling DRAM to customers in the United States and elsewhere.
6. Various corporations and individuals, not made defendants in this Information, participated as coconspirators in the offense charged in this Information and performed acts and made statements in furtherance of it.
7. Whenever in this Information reference is made to any act, deed, or transaction of any corporation, the allegation means that the corporation engaged in the act, deed, or transaction by or through its officers, directors, employees, agents, or other representatives while they were actively engaged in the management, direction, control, or transaction of its business or affairs.III.
TRADE AND COMMERCE
8. DRAM is the most commonly used semiconductor memory product. DRAM provides high-speed storage and retrieval of electronic information in personal computers, servers and other devices. All references to DRAM in this Information include semiconductor memory devices and modules.
9. During the period covered by this Information, the defendant and its coconspirators sold and distributed DRAM in a continuous and uninterrupted flow of interstate and foreign trade and commerce to customers located in states or countries other than the states or countries in which the defendant and its coconspirators produced DRAM. The OEMs that were affected by the conspiracy to suppress and eliminate competition were: Dell Inc., Compaq Computer Corporation, Hewlett-Packard Company, Apple Computer, Inc., International Business Machines Corporation and Gateway, Inc.
10. The business activities of the defendant and its coconspirators that are the subject of this Information were within the flow of, and substantially affected, interstate and foreign trade and commerce.IV.
JURISDICTION AND VENUE
11. The combination and conspiracy charged in this Information was carried out, in part, in the Northern District of California, within the five years preceding the filing of this Information.
ALL IN VIOLATION OF TITLE 15, UNITED STATES CODE, SECTION 1.