|This document is available in two formats: this web page (for browsing content) and PDF (comparable to original document formatting). To view the PDF you will need Acrobat Reader, which may be downloaded from the Adobe site. For an official signed copy, please contact the Antitrust Documents Group.|
IN THE UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT
FOR THE NORTHERN DISTRICT OF TEXAS
The United States of America, acting through its attorneys, charges:I
DESCRIPTION OF THE OFFENSE
1. Dieter Suter is made a defendant on the charge stated below.
2. Beginning in part at least as early as January 1990 and continuing in part until February 1999, the exact dates being unknown to the United States, the defendant's corporate employer, BASF AG ("BASF"), and co-conspirators entered into and participated in a combination and conspiracy to suppress and eliminate competition by fixing the price and allocating the volume of certain vitamins manufactured by BASF and its co-conspirators and sold by them in the United States and elsewhere, and to allocate customers for vitamin premixes sold in the United States. The combination and conspiracy engaged in by the defendant and co-conspirators was in unreasonable restraint of interstate and foreign trade and commerce in violation of Section 1 of the Sherman Act (15 U.S.C. ï½§ 1). The defendant joined and participated in the charged conspiracy from at least as early as January 1990 until at least March 1996.
3. The charged combination and conspiracy:
4. For the purpose of forming and carrying out the charged combination and conspiracy, the defendant and co-conspirators did those things that they combined and conspired to do including, among other things:Vitamins
5. Vitamins are organic compounds required in the diet of humans and animals for normal growth and maintenance of life. Vitamins are essential sources of certain coenzymes necessary for metabolism, the biochemical processes that support life. All known vitamins have been synthesized chemically, and various such synthesized vitamins are manufactured and sold by BASF and its corporate co- conspirators.
6. Vitamins are necessary for the normal and healthy growth and development of both humans and animals. Large quantities of vitamins A and E, vitamin B2, vitamin B5, vitamin C, and beta carotene are sold to customers in the human food, pharmaceutical, and animal feed industries. Vitamin premixes are a blend of several vitamins and other products in either dry or spray-on applications. Formulated and sold as additives, these vitamin premix applications are used to enrich human food and animal feed products.III
DEFENDANT AND CO-CONSPIRATORS
7. During the period covered by this Information, Reinhard Steinmetz was President of the Fine Chemicals Division of BASF, a corporation organized and existing under the laws of Germany, with its principal place of business in Lugwigshafen, Germany. BASF is engaged in the manufacture and sale of vitamins and vitamin premixes in the United States and elsewhere.
8. Various corporations and individuals not made defendants herein participated as co-conspirators in the offense charged herein and performed acts and made statements in furtherance thereof.
9. Wherever in this Information reference is made to any act, deed, or transaction of a corporation, the allegation means that the corporation engaged in the act, deed, or transaction by or through its officers, directors, agents, employees, or representatives while they were actively engaged in the management, direction, control, or transaction of its business or affairs.IV
TRADE AND COMMERCE
10. During the period covered by this Information, the defendant and co-conspirators sold and distributed a substantial quantity of vitamins and vitamin premixes subject to the charged conspiracy in a continuous and uninterrupted flow of interstate and foreign trade and commerce to customers located in states or countries other than the states or countries in which the vitamins and vitamin premixes were produced.
11. During the period covered by this Information, the activities of the defendant and co-conspirators that are the subject of this Information were within the flow of, and substantially affected, interstate and foreign trade and commerce.V
JURISDICTION AND VENUE
12. The combination and conspiracy charged in this Information was carried out, in part, within the Northern District of Texas within the five years preceding the filing of this Information.
ALL IN VIOLATION OF TITLE 15, UNITED STATES CODE, SECTION 1.